EXTREME sensitivity to sunlight.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm extremely sensitive to sunlight. When facing in the direction of sunlight, it hurts my eyes and I squint, and it takes 20-30 minutes to adjust. With artificial light, it is fine, and I have barely any sensitivity or trouble adjusting.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

You could have dry eyes, especially if you spend a lot of time looking at screens.  Have you tried going to your local optometrist?  Someone like Specsavers.  They are trained to examine eyes & will be able to tell you whether you need to see an Ophthalmologist [a hospital eye doctor] or whether using lubricating eye drops will help & limiting your screen use.

Go to your local High Street Optician & let them check your eyes for you.  

Good luck

• Posted

I already went to my optometrist about my eyes as it was accompanied by wavy lines and blurred vision, especially after I read about macular degeneration. However, he told me it was highly unlikely i'd have anything like that as I am 14, and said it was likely visual stress and only to come back if it gets worse and I see blindspots and all that.

• Posted

It is one of the signs of Age Related Macular Degeneration which I came to know when I was diagnosed or early AMD. Before that I was also sensitive to sun light especially while driving. Anyway if your age is not much, then AMD should not be the problem in your case. However do consult Ophthalmologist who may suitably advise you.
    • Posted

Macular Degeneration certainly was my worry at first, as sometimes lines looked like they were moving etc. But I went to an optometrist to have my eyes checked and all that, and he said that nothing could be wrong as I am only 14 as macular degeneration is extremely rare at my age.
    • Posted

Do you spend a lot of time on a computer at all as a lot of teens your age do?One of my eye problems is dry eye syndrome and I have become very sensitive to light,computers give out a very bad light for your eyes but you can get special screens or glasses for that.Even watching television turn the brightness down as I do,read in a sensible light and always wear sunglasses outside.Don't think the worst about your symptoms could be a simple explanation maybe solved by trying different eyedrops called artificial tears if it turns out to be dry eye.Just keep a check on any other symptoms that might occur and never think you are wasting anybodies time asking to have them checked again if only to give you peace of mind.

• Posted

Yes, I do spend a lot of time looking at computer, TV screens e.t.c. But do dry eyes make you hallucinate? Sometimes things look distorted then when I look again its fine?
  • Posted

Your last post was at about 5am.  Apart from staring at screens, which will cause dry eyes, staring at screens in the middle of the night, means that you are not sleeping & lack of sleep will make you hallucinate.

You are building up a lot of problems for the future, your body repairs itself at night when you are asleep.  It can't do that if you are talking to Doctor Google & imagining all sorts.

https://patient.info/health/eye-problems/dry-eyes

Read this page, it is very informative, pay particular attention to the paragraph that says:

Having a low blinking rate, often combined with opening your eyes wider than normal, increases evaporation of tears and stops you spreading new tears as effectively. Some people blink less than others. You will blink less if you spend long periods concentrating on a computer screen, TV or microscope. 

This paragraph applies especially, to young people.

Have you discussed this with your parents?  If your eyes are a real problem, you should go to your GP & ask to be referred to an Ophthalmologist but your GP might also wish to talk to your parents/guardian.

Good luck

• Posted

I have talked to my parents about the problem, and I have a GP appointment in a few days. Thanks.
    • Posted

Well, the GP said that I need to go back to my optometrist and have a dilated eye exam and possibly have my prescription changed as that is what could be causing it.
    • Posted

Well, I went to the optometrist, and he said that it was astigmatism, and that can cause distorted vision. That makes sense because after asking both my mum and dad, they said that both had it in one eye.
  • Posted

That's good news!

Your post suggests to me, that you posted it at 3am.  It is now 5am.  You are young & shouldn't be awake at 3am!  That is not helping your eyes at all.  You should make yourself a rule, not to use your phone during the night, for example between 11pm & 6am.  Your eyes & general health will benefit.

I also have an astigmatism in both eyes.  Have you read this leaflet?

https://patient.info/health/astigmatism

It might help you to understand your condition.

Good luck & give up your nocturnal activities!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.