Extreme skin reaction to Lansoprazole? Please help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

After 10 days on just 15 mg Lansoprazole, I had what we assume to be a skin reaction on one arm. I stopped the med immediately but 4 days on, it is just as bad. I discussed it with the GP and am trying antihistamines. The thing is, the skin looks completely normal and I don't think I got across how bad it is. No rash, no welts, no redness - maybe just some teeny swelling. But it is itchy and hypersensitive and if I inadvertently scratch or rub just one little bit, the pain and the burning all the way up the arm are intolerable - it has literally had me writhing on the floor screaming. It's as if I thrust my arm into a fire. At night I have to bandage it in case I inadvertently rub it. Has anyone had anything like this? What can be done? When is it likely to settle down? The thing is it looks normal so it makes me hesitant to go back to the GP

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Chris, I had a reaction to a drug called Terbinafine some years ago. It is an anti fungal. I stopped taking it but still had the reaction - I had blisters. The blisters only went after a course of Prednisolone, a steroid. I had to be referred to a Dermatologist.

Have you put in a Yellow Card? I'll put a link after this, in case they want to approve it, otherwise, just Google 'Yellow Card' and you will find it

• Posted

Thanks folks

I've actually stopped the drug and told the GP but I don't think I got across how terrible this is. Just accidentally brushing against the skin as you put on a coat etc is excruciating. The worst thing is there is nothing to see so there is nothing I can show them - unless they want a demo of my reaction when touched ...

• Posted

Chris,I see you have stopped taking the drug but if this doesnt improve you must go back to your GP. It may be a reaction to it but it could also be a new symptom of something else.

• Posted

Thanks for those replies. I am thinking maybe it wasn't the Lansoprazole. I've had an itchy back for a while and recently found a small scar - like a scratch which had scabbed over. I presumed I had done it while scratching. But it has been continuing to itch as well as hurt. I bathed it last night and the scab came off. But I have seen pics just like it on the net and they are shingles scars. The problem arm is on the same side so now I am wondering if this is shingles related nerve pain. Had an episode in the supermarket car park today when I forgot and nudged the car door shut with my arm - OMG it was like all the fires of hell had opened up! So I am back to the surgery today as it needs checking out whatever.

• Posted

Update

The GP said today that it wasn't related to shingles.. So back to the Lansoprazole or another cause. Meanwhile I've been prescribed some Amitriptyline for the nerve pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.