extreme smear test anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im 30 yr old and never had a Smear due to my anxiety. suffered abuse as a child and this is still affecting my life now. I do have a child but I ended up having an emergency c section as my pelvic bone was too narrow. I'm booked in for thursday n I cant think straight. just worried to bits. help pls?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cassie(?),

I'm sorry to hear the reasons behind your anxiety. I put off my smear for 7 years due to being embarrassed but went for my first one in February. As my results were abnormal I then had to go to the colposcopy clinic at my local hospital and again my nerves flared up.

Honestly do not worry. It is over in minutes. Is your GP aware of your childhood? Explain this is the reason behind your nerves and if at any point you feel uncomfortable or can't go on, say so! They have to respect your wishes and if you can't continue don't suffer it in silence. Could you maybe take your partner or a close friend you trust who could wait on the other side of the curtain or strictly head end to talk to you and try keep your mind off whats going on?

The procedure itself is a little uncomfortable but it's bearable. It's over in max 5 minutes. If you get to the GP on Thursday and feel you can't go through with it, you've taken the first step in getting there. Your doctor will understand.

Keep calm, your peace of mind will be worth it in the end x

• Posted

Thanks Rachel. my nurse said to take kalms everyday up till the day. im worried about pain as I did try 6 yrs ago and failed as it was too painful for me. not sure if that was her inserting it or the opening of it. I am taking my nana along with me and I dnt want to leave without having it done. Thanks for your kind words. x
  • Posted

Hi cass i had my 1st smear test yesterday and i was petrified!! I suffer health anxiety so have convinced my self i have cervical cancer. Im 27 with 4 children. The nurse was very very nice although she had trouble getting the speclum im as i was so so tense!!! That was the only part i found uncomfy. I did feel her using the brush but it wasnt painfull atall , there was blood on the brush so i freaked out but found out this is pretty normal. Ive had no bleeding atall yet (touch wood) . I was slightly crampy afterwards and am today but ive been told thats pretty normal aswell . I now have a 2-3 week wait for results which is horrible and im thinking the worse already :-( . I also asked her if my cervix looked ok and she said it looked fine xx
    • Posted

was it painful Stacey? im busy taking kalms up till Thursday as I am so scared. I know I will feel better afterwards though and do not want to back down after all this worry and build up too it.xx
  • Posted

The only part that slightly painfull was the speclum being put in every muscle in my body was so tense as i had been panicking , they will take it very slowly and wont just force it in , the actual smear didnt hurt atall hun . I took a diazepam to try and calm me down before hand it only worked after it had been done though l xxx
    • Posted

haha, thats what I have thought about doing. Well done to you for doin it. I'm goin to be so pleased with myself if I go thru with it.
  • Posted

Hi Cass,

Remember everyone's experience will be different. You may not feel a thing - seriously!

I haven't had children but have had three smears now and never feel a thing, despite always feeling a bit nervous beforehand. The only reason I tend to put them off is the embarrassment rather than any pain. And they cover you with a towel or similar so you are not just lying there butt naked from the waist down smile

Just relax, it really can be just nothing - the last time I had to ask the nurse if she had actually finished after she had walked away as I had no idea she had taken the smear!

Good luck.

• Posted

ah I'd love me to be like that. I wish it was over with so I can thinking about it. Just gonna keep taking kalms smile, thanks xx
    • Posted

Cass, you'll soon be encouraging all your friends to keep up with their smears, and giving your own advice to first timers smile

I wish you all the best xx

• Posted

U will be fine hun honestly its best to get it over and done with :-) . And if it hurts tell them and they will go more gentle and stop till i feel relaxed and more comfy xx
  • Posted

I hope yesterday went ok for you x
    • Posted

yesterday went very well. so pleased with myself. was totally fine. thanks smile xx
  • Posted

Well done to all those ladies out there who had the courage to have your smear test done ... I need one done but too terrified and can't stand any pain ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.