Extreme upper arm pain without shoulder discomfort...dr says frozen shoulder?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, All. I started experiencing extreme upper arm pain - started as pain felt from getting a vaccine but got worse - shortly after taking Strattera. Came off Strattera (thinking it was a side effect), but the pain did not ease and can be extreme at times if, for instance, I accidently jerk my arm. Primary doctor did a ton of blood work and found nothing. Sent me to an ortho who diagnosed me frozen shoulder???

The thing is...my shoulder does not really even hurt...definitely not to the point that it bothers me. Could this really be frozen shoulder?

Thank you in advance for any insight and help you can provide.

Tracy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy

It does sound like a FS . I had the same issue no pain in my shoulder but excruciting pain in my arm.

I had hydro dilatation which has helped enormously however i still have some psin with sleep and loss of movement. I you you get it sorted.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I had the same thing, It started in December 2017. I noticed my arm getting stiff when I was on a cruise. ( No shoulder pain) By the time I got back my upper arm was VERY painful. I went to my primary doctor who had xrays taken and sent me to PT. The therapist told me it was FS. 6 wks of PAINFUL therapy then went to an ortho and had an MRI. Ortho diagnosed it as FS and recommended surgery.

It was the most exruciating pain I have ever felt. I literally did not think I could endure it another day at times. The arm pain was worse when I laid down so I only slept 1 to 3 hours every night for 3/4 months. I cried everyday for 4 months straight.

It changed my life drastically. I quit my job, moved in with my parents, canceled trips I had already paid for, checked out socially.

Over 17 months I've been to 3 different pt's, 2 ortho's, 3 MRI's, 2 xrays, 2 acupunturist, numerous massage therapist, 2 chiropractors, reflexology, hypnotherapy for my depression from it, a holistic nutritionist and I have been on whole food supplements for a year.

I did have 3 accidents in a years time that I think led to whatever mine was. I fell down 9 stairs at my sisters house, had a fender bender before my cruise and I was a runner for years during the time of FS I was trying to hard to get back to normal and tripped and fell and landed on my frozen arm.

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Misty 😃

• Posted

My pain is mostly in the arm all the way to the elbow (not the joint itself just to that level). Some times sharp stabbing pain in the lower part of the upper arm. The pain area can change from day to day.

• Posted

I wonder why it hurts so much more at night.

• Posted

its because when you lie down the space in your shoulder joints get smaller causing the pain. Thats why i had to sleep in a chair with my arm dangling down vertically to increase the space and help the pain. Well thats what i was told however people dont know much about this problem as with everything else these days ! 7 years of training doesnt teach you much these days !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.