Extreme weakness and Malaise.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone this Wednesday will make it 4 weeks with Shingles. I am writing today because I have been feeling extremely weak. Flu like weak and just generally feeling ill. There has been moments I feel so weak I thought about going to the hospital but I touched it out.

I just want to know if this is normal? The rash has dried up and I still have quite a bit of pain but I do feel the pain levels getting better however my body feels like complete trash. I feel like I have been completely zapped. Does anyone else feel this way?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aaron. Sorry that you are suffering with this horrific virus. 

What you are feeling is completely normal .. I Shingles act differently on everyone. I was around 7 weeks before I felt a bit better. I still had pain but the nausea eased up. It has been over one year and I still suffer at times with PHN.  The feeling of being tired is normal as your body is fighting to get better.  

You need lots of rest and try not to stress and eat healthy. 

Others on here may explain their recovery but it will just take its time for your body to heal.  Some have a mild case and recover in a couple of weeks others take longer and sometime months. 

Hopefully yours won’t be too much longer.. 

As I mentioned in another post, it is important to get vit D. as it builds your immune system,, I also took Vit c. Vit B12. , Lysine tablets and a multi vitamin.  I drank protein shakes as I couldn’t eat. 

• Posted

Hello Sheila. Thank you for your response. I'm one of the younger ones with it. I had class today and walked quite a distance in the heat and than up some stairs. I felt completely faint and extremely weak. It was such a bad experience I don't even want to go to school tomorrow.

• Posted

If your experiencing extreme weekness we call your doctor. It could be a simple blood test to identify why. Do you take valtrex for shingles? It’s a anti viral for treating shingles. If caught at the first 24-48 hours at the first sign of a rash it help lesson the severity , itching and length of illness. Taking two valtrex twice a day for ten days helps keep mine in check. It’s always a bit tricky and different for everyone  but taking valtrex reduces The rash not as serious if no antiviral taken.

I also have had the immunization for shingles also shortens the breakouts and severity. I highly recommend everyone take the shots it’s ok once the shingles rash has showed wait for a clearing then ask your doc about shingex.The new one is Shingex and two shots and is much better than the older immunization. As soon as I get thru this bout will head in to get the new shot and booster.i had the old one 11 years ago and they loose their effectiveness, where the new shingex does not.  Hopefully it will totally lesson the recurrence and severity in the future. 

Well im headed into the kitchen for ice cream , it always makes me feel better.

aaron get better soon! Keep posting.👍

• Posted

Yes I took a round of valtrex and was put on Tylenol 4 so I was treated. I don't think i got the Valtrex within the 72 hour period.

• Posted

I felt the same way...weak and no energy for 7 weeks...I still after getting this junk 4 months ago still feel like I have bad days with itching and just not feeling right! Feels like it is still affecting my health...anxiety and joint aches...nausea and digestion issues that I never had before I got shingles...Takes months to feel good again ..

.so strive for patience and rest lots...eat well and drink lots of filtered water. God bless you and I pray for your healing🛐??

• Posted

Yes Claudette! I have Nausea and a loose bowel everyday. I dont know why my stomach is so effected by this. Sometimes I think some of the problems of feeling weak and weird are coming from my stomach! I never knew shingles could effect a person so much.
  • Posted

Put yourself immediately in the care of an experienced medical doctor, if you have not done already, to see if you do have the shingles, If you do have the shingles, your doctor will need to put you right away on proper medications. Hopefully, you can be treated on time to avoid getting post herpetic neuralgia or PHN, which can be devastating. While with you doctor ask about the new shingles vaccine Shingrix (two separate doses), which has a 90+% of preventing shingles or getting the shingles again. Wish you the best......
    • Posted

Thank you and yes I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago but have had it now about 4 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Aaron 

Sorry to hear your not feeling great. i had shingles over 4 weeks ago my rash has gone but I still have days when I feel wiped out. Can’t even have the energy to go out the house some days but , it will take Time for you to get back to yourself you have my sympathies you really do, I have been talking zinc, vitamins B and D , C and also flaxseed hopefully they will help maybe give them ago yourself, hopefully you will soon be better, will keep you in my prayers .

• Posted

Hello.  Based on my experience my answer would be "yes" - it is normal.  I had 2 bouts of Shingles (one in April and one in July) and am still suffering with a number of symptoms even though its over a month since the last outbreak. I have fatigue, flu-like symptoms, weakness, and general illness.  My friend is a doctor and he said that people generally have to allow 3 months before they feel anything like themselves again.  Its a nasty viral condition and a significant illness so don't expect too much from yourself, take it easy, get as much rest as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.