Extreme Worry and Negative Thoughts

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone! So I have written in this forum before. I've realized that just writing down my thoughts and then hearing from others who can relate, helps a lot. 

Today has been a difficult day for me. I've noticed that some days are better than others. Today isn't so bad but def still difficult. I have these moments where I feel my overthinking and extreme worrying start to take over. I just want to be normal and not have these ridiculous thoughts that I do all day long. 

I definitely have OCD. And I notice how much it really affects the way I function on a daily basis. I notice that anytime there is something that is going good for me, I find reasons why I don't deserve it or why I'm not worthy of having it in my life. Anything that really means a lot to me, I get so afraid that I don't deserve it and that it's just too good for me. I am constantly making myself feel like I'm a bad person. I have a lot of negative thoughts running through my mind on a daily basis. 

I think the biggest thing that triggers my anxiety disorder is my fear of how people perceive me to be. I really need reassurance from others in order to feel like I'm doing things right or that I'm a good person. Everything I do or say in front of people, I analyze. I try and figure out what they are thinking and how they are judging me. I just want everyone To like me and think I'm a good person. I try to relate to everyone so that they have a positive view of me. I am always in fear of people getting the wrong idea or misinterpreting something I said and in doing so, they think I'm a terrible person. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post and I look forward to hearing anything you have to say about it.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

have you ever thought about CBT? It really helped me challenge my negative thoughts. X

• Posted

Hi Mary, 

I don't have an anxiety disorder (just reading this because I was seeking help for my boyfriend). I used to suffer from bad, bad depression and I can totally relate.

I also feel like I'm always trying to get along with everybody, avoid any possible conflict. Result is everyone loves me, but I never get what I want.

I haven't found the magical recipe to overcome this yet. But maybe one piece is starting to challenge the believe that you're somehow not likable or you don't deserve anything good. 

The CBT Victoria mentioned would help to change those beliefs and start new ones. 

For me, tons of sports and therapy helped. It's not perfect, but it's better. 

Out of 5 therapists, I only found one helpful and finally got better, after a long struggle. So if you try CBT and it doesn't work, switch therapists. Read up on the topic to monitor if what they are doing is good or bad practice! I have seen an amount of bad and ignorant doctors that makes me want to cry. 

Don't give up at attempt 1. Any therapy has to be carried out correctly. You have to click with the therapist. If you don't click with the therapist, move on. 

L

• Posted

hi mary, has your gp prescribed and meds in short term. could they refer you to counselling or Cognitive behaviour therapy ? you could try self help books too from books on prescription whick isblinked to uk nhs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.