Extremely anxious about taking Fluoxetine!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I'm an 18 year old female and last year I was diagnosed with depression and also anxiety & panic disorder. I have tried many things such as CBT etc however nothing seemed to help and so my doctor had put me on propranolol. After a few weeks of taking this my anxiety did seem to decrease but unfortunately my depression just seemed to worsen, my doctor has now decided to prescribe me with Fluoxetine (same as prozac). I have read the leaflet the medication comes with and it seemed to scare me abit (I do understand that with every medication comes possible side effects but with suicidal thoughts being one is extremely frighting as I already suffer from this and dont want it to get worse). I also havent been told anything positive about taking this drug of people who are close to me. I was wondering if anyone who has taken this could share with me their experiences on it?

Much appreciated!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I avoided taking anti deps but was citalopram not Prozac because the horror stories I had heard about side effects I admit the first couple of days were tough as your body gets used to the change that is happening,I had one day after about 3 days that I felt I couldn't get any lower and my mind was like a fog but I stuck with it and after about a week I felt so much better I couldn't believe the difference it was like someone had turned the sunshine on !! My advice try them see how u go and remember if u feel bad it's normal it will pass

Good luck

• Posted

I'm glad you found something that works for you. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Posted

The benefits will always outweigh the side effects and remember you will know in your mind it's the start of the meds working this helped me get through the dark couple of days and that's all it was so be patient and you should get somewhere
  • Posted

Yeah I'm glad someone has finally told me something more positive, I was starting to loose all hope. Thank you smile
  • Posted

No one ever puts any positives on that's y I posted one about the plus points on an earlier post called citilopram sick of negativity hav a look
  • Posted

I just took a read, it was very helpful and I hope I have a positive outcome such as yourself
  • Posted

Good keep in touch and hope you get some positives
  • Posted

Hi Victoriajessica,

I can only say good things about Prozac, I went on it few years ago for very bad depression. I was on it for a year and I can honestly say I didn't have any bad side affects and it gave me my life back. I was the same as you though read nothing but bad things. But all I can say is give it a few weeks because it does take a few weeks to start working.

Karen

• Posted

Think you should realise depression is a chemical imbalance not just a state of mind the best way of treating it is with medication these are not physc drugs it is ssri which enables the body to up the production of serotonin the lack of which is contributing to the feeling of depression! Serotonin contributes to everything from good moods to sleep and appetite I recommend the medical route but if some kind of counselling helps do that aswell
  • Posted

Hi Victoria, My doc prescribed Venlafaxine which has worked wonders for me no side affects at all . But I suppose it depends on the type of people we are.

mertazapine didn't do anything for me the the withdrawal is horrific. Just be careful and get plenty of advice. Don't suddenly stop any meds I had diazapam and temazapam to help transition.

Hope things get better.

• Posted

Fluoxetine is the scientific name for Prozac. I have a lot of knowledge about it as it has made a huge difference to my son. Initially prescribed for bipolar condition when the correct diagnosis of autism was arrived at (after almost 20 years) it turned out by chance to be the best medicine for him anyway. His condition was so difficult at the start (severe depression while in uni) that he was prescribed 5 tablets daily. Presently he is on 4 tablets daily during the winter months and three during summer. The difference being that his condition alters slightly in winter when he appears to suffer from SAD and the extra lift from that additional tablet makes a huge difference.

I recognise the problem for anyone reading all the possible side effects on those leaflets. However, against that we should bear in mind the people who have benefitted. So give it a try. You need at least a month before you can know what your feelings are then. Keep a diary to help you discuss it with your GP.

• Posted

Deee: I have heard all this before like I said all I've heard if negatives I appreciate you're trying to help but I was looking for more positives as I really have heard all the negatives. I dont mean to come across as offensive or patronizing but I'm pretty sure being on medication for a long period of time isnt good for you. You make depression sound so easy to fix (maybe for you it was) but I've been to different doctors since diagnosed this is literally my last option because personally I cant live with it and do it on my own I cant just wake up one day and think to myself "hmm I'm not going to have depression anymore" it doesnt work that way unfortunately.

Jaguar: Thank you for the feedback keeping a diary seems like a good idea!

• Posted

Just reading your posts..I started my medicine today. Feeling so afraid. Any update from you?
    • Posted

Hi pinkrozes how are you feeling? Is it fluoxetine u started a few days ago? Xx
    • Posted

Yes it was sorry I didn't check this post so didn't see your message. I feel the low

Depressed feeling is improved however I struggle with anxiety off and on a lot still. It's

Been only 9 days. How has it been for you? I am on 20 mg.

• Posted

Hey guys just like you I've just started Prozac around 5 days ago. I must say I feel terrible. Very optimistic that this will help me as it has in the past, god bless everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.