Extremely anxious about taking Fluoxetine!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I'm an 18 year old female and last year I was diagnosed with depression and also anxiety & panic disorder. I have tried many things such as CBT etc however nothing seemed to help and so my doctor had put me on propranolol. After a few weeks of taking this my anxiety did seem to decrease but unfortunately my depression just seemed to worsen, my doctor has now decided to prescribe me with Fluoxetine (same as prozac). I have read the leaflet the medication comes with and it seemed to scare me abit (I do understand that with every medication comes possible side effects but with suicidal thoughts being one is extremely frighting as I already suffer from this and dont want it to get worse). I also havent been told anything positive about taking this drug of people who are close to me. I was wondering if anyone who has taken this could share with me their experiences on it?

Much appreciated!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Started fluoxetine about 4 weeks ago @ 20mg. First couple of weeks my insomnia was way worse. Spoke to the Dr and he reduced to 10mg for 7 days and back up to 20 after again. Slow and steady he said. My sleep is definitely getting better but I do have the odd night at least once or twice a week where I just can't sleep (like tonight). I was very worried about going on any type of anti depressants for my cyclothymia and anxiety but after much thought I decided to give it a try. I'm Hoping I won't be on it forever though but for now dr seems to think I should be on it for long term. Keep with it. It's been about a week since I upped the dose back to 20mg and no side effects except for the sleep. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.