Extremely High Blood Pressure in 30 year old male

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 30 year old male with a healthy BMI, exercise 8-10 hours per week, don't smoke, eat healthy, drinks alcohol in moderation.

I've been recording some incredibly high blood pressure readings ranging from 160/90 to as high as 180/95!! I'm not sure if it's relevant but my resting HR averages between 45 and 50 bpm.

I've seeked medical help and will be having bloods and an ECG next week.

In the meantime, could anyone give me a clue as to what could be causing this and anything I should be doing in the meantime? Can I continue to exercise or will I collapse at any moment?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

What are the circumstances of recording the high BP?

Are you taking the readings yourself?

Is the unit you use to test your BP functioning correctly?

Are you resting before taking the readings?

How often are the readings at the extreme levels?

If you are taking your own readings it's worth getting the unit checked against a known calibration, your Doctor's surgery should be able to help, if you take your machine in and test alongside theirs you will be able to see if it's accurate.

When you take your BP rest in a quiet and peaceful place for 5 - 10 minutes before the check, take 3 readings and use the 'best' result

Check your BP at or near to the same time(s) every day

Keep a record of the results so you can identify extreme outliers and discard them.

Finally, as I am not a doctor, if you are genuinely concerned speak to a doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.