Extremely high heart rate

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have an bicupsid aortic vavle and I was sitting on the couch today and out of nowhere my heart rate shot up to 189bpm and I ended up calling the paramedics. I had no other symptoms and I am only 25 but had no caffeine or alcohol or drugs before it. I don't actually do drugs. And when they came they said it was very high but my rhythm was normal so it wasn't really dangerous they gave me an injection of something to bring it down. Anyone else experience this I am really worried about it and its making me too terrified to exercise. I am overweight too.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Shane,

Did they suggest it was SVT?

Did they give you adenosine ?

After the medication, did your heart rate come down immediately?

• Posted

Hi, yes the said it was SVT. And that was the medication I was given. And yes with in a few seconds it started to come down right down.

• Posted

I'M different from you in that I have hypertension, atrial fibrillation and a pacemaker.

When I had the pacemaker checked recently they said that I had a reading of 191 bpm at 0.20 am one night the previous week I had not been aware of it.

• Posted

I'd never been diagnosed with anything (still haven't been, actually), but around age 50 had a similar episode - just sitting and surfing the web when bang! Pulse went to the moon, I estimated even higher than 180 but have no proof. I stood up, reached for the phone, dialed 911, was put on hold!!!!!!! But by then my pulse was back to something like normal, so I hung up. Made a doctor's appointment. Told the story. Wore a Holter monitor. Nothing.

More than ten years later, has not recurred!

• Posted

Hi yes the only difference there is this has happened to me before but I never seen it that high usually maybe around 160

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.