Extremely high liver levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I am new to this site, but this week I had an extremely bad pain in the upper right side of my abdomen. I went to the doctors and she ordered blood tests and an ultrasound. It turns out that I have multiple gallstones, larges is 35mm. But the blood tests came back with alarmingly high levels:

tot bili 51

GGT 729

ALP 223

AST 958

AST 1100

LD 920

Now I don't really know what all that means, but they are really high compared to the number showing what they should be.

Does anyone know if they are so elavated because I was in the midst of the gallstone episode?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

When I had blood test during a bad gallbladder attack my doctor called me to say some levels were through the roof so on that basis I would say that this is possibly so but you need to check with your doctor. I have no medical knowledge just saying that's what mine was in case that helps you.. Did your doctor discuss them with you.
    • Posted

She sent me off for Hepatitis blood tests, and she said to not drink and eat well for two weeks, then come back and redo the tests.

I had blood tests only about 6 months ago because I was feeling tired and lethargic, but they came back with a thyroid problem. I would think that they tested the liver at that time, which means that these increased levels are fairly new....

• Posted

I would certainly agree that they are through the roof, I was pretty impressed with them. I tend to focus on the GGT (Gordin's Gin & Tonic) because that one is the one that doctors focus on when alcohol is an issue, by that I mean, the rest can be fairly low, but that one is the giveaway. I know this only too well because of my own problems.

I would ask the doctor what they mean and how are they going to be brought back down to normal.

• Posted

My hepatitis test came back negative, and the doctor told me that my liver enzymes were tested one month before when I had a blood test for my thyroid and were normal. So I now feel comfortable that the high results were because I was in the middle of a gallstone attack.

I have bloods done again on Tuesday, back to the doc on Thursday and I also have an appointment with the surgeon on Thursday afternoon. So I guess I will get some answers hopefully this week.

• Posted

Is your diagnosis of gallstones new? Are you being referred to a hospial for that.
    • Posted

The diagnosis is new, but I have had the pain before but it goes away overnight, but this time it was extremely bad, and didn't disappear overnight so I went to the doctors. She said the ultrasound results showed multiple (didn't say how many) stones with the largest 35mm. She has referred me to a surgeon as she said I will need to have my gallbladder removed. 

Did you need your gallbladder removed?

• Posted

Hi yes I to had with hindsight suffered for sometime with it before diagnosed with two 2cm stones. Yes had it removed in 2014. It would seem from my own experience and what I have read on this site gallbladder problems have some strange symptoms.
    • Posted

Did you get any side effects from having the gallbladder removed?
  • Posted

At first I didn't want to have the operation as I was terrified but then I came to realise that I couldn't live with this forever dreading the next attack, where would I be when it happened. So I did have it done . I was quite bad but not everyone is. I don't suffer with having to run to the toilet and on the whole I feel better and am glad I had it done.
  • Posted

You will find a lot of helpful threads on here and people willing to help you. Some people have had bad experiences and others have really successful out comes so don't be put off. It seems everyone is different in what they can tolerate food wise while waiting for their operation and what they take to help the pain. I found that cloudy apple juice not from concentrate did help to my surprise. You have to take all the information in and decide whats best for you. The only thing I would say is my consultant said don't do liver or gallbladder flush, I know some people on here will say it worked for them but I took his advice on that one. Good luck with it all hope you don't have to wait too long.
    • Posted

I have an appointment with the surgeon on Thursday. I am iffy about them taking the gallbladder, but I will see what they say.  I asked the doctors what "multiple"stones were.... 3, 6 30.... but she couldn't tell me. She just said multiple is what the report says.  I think if there are only a few, then there should be other options.... guess I will find out on Thursday.
  • Posted

I don't know why my last post is waiting to be moderated I didn't post any links so hopefully you will see it when its been vetted.
    • Posted

You either posted a word that the auto mod doesn't like (unlikely) or a certain phrase 'looked' liked a link. For example, if you put a full stop and don't leave a space after it (as grammar dictates you should) and then immediately start the new word, it can look like a web address.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.