Extremely high PSA

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had some urgency problems for a year or two although I believed no worse than for a lot of men my age (68).  It seemed like a good idea to ask the surgery to do a PSA while I was having a general health check up.  It's come back at 228 - yes really - not 2.28 nor 22.8 but over two hundred.  I'm now waiting for an appointment with a urologist.  Is a PSA this high really unusual?  The websites suggest that the higher the PSA reading, the gloomier the outlook but they all see 7, 8 or 9 as very high and suggest that other causes like recent ejaculation might put it up by a ng or two.  Does 228 mean that I'm likely to have cancerous prostate cells all over the place all pumping out PSA?  Should I be preparing for an early demise?    

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have read of some readings in the high 200's due to infections. Also read of some in the thousands due to riding a bike. Sounds like you need some testing and maybe some biopsys.

• Posted

"Should I be preparing for an early demise?"  Absolutely not.  Protocol suggests that you retest.  Smart of you to make an appointment with a uro.  While you're at it, you'll want to start thinking about a second opinion now; irrespective of what your urologist tells you, if for no other reason than your own piece of mind.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Bob  I would have it check again and yes sex before you have your blood done will raise the PSA number.  when I was 47  my doctor told me to go see a urologist because my PSA was 446.  It turned out to be a prostate infection.  I'm 61 now and my last PSA was 0.7   Take care   Ken 

• Posted

Stay pragmatic and deal with reality. A high PSA level idoes statistically indicate an increased risk of prostate cancer and must be followed up ASAP. HOWEVER, there are many other reasons for a high PSA and further tests are necessary to establish the cause and the appropriate treatment. 

Enjoy life to the full and continue to take care of your health.

Best wishes, CaptainAl

• Posted

Hi Bob , yes that is a very high reading but from having reaf variuos items onn PSA  it is not unknown nor is it confirmation that you have Prostate cancer ,there is a guy in one group who had cancer with a PSA of 3. The PSA is the only guide used in the UK and it is only a guide. If you are going down the route of a biopsy , In your position  I would not consider anything less than a MR scan and then if required "A template biopsy " where they target specific highlighted sites of interest. The standard anal probe biopsy is little better than a shot in the dark. Read as much as you can to educate yourself so that any decision you make is as informed as you can make it. A book "The invasion of the prostate snatchers"is informative about one mans experiences ,along with input from his urologist, in living with a high PSA for over twenty years.

This is not an absolute sign of your demise get the tests done get informed, not many tears ago most elderly men (our age) died with /not because of P.C. and with any sign of prostate problems  they went under the knife , the vast majority ,unneccessarily.

• Posted

Bob, if you have had urgency issues for a few years, you are demonstrating a possible prostate issue. The high PSA is not good, especailly as you have not had earlier tests done to compare the numbers and the time it has taken to rise.

Remember, the PSA test is determine the health of the prostate. If you have a high number, usualy meaning over 4-5, ​A prostate infection, BPH and or prostatitus can be the cause.

I was in a similar position as you, high PSA (13) and could not see urologist for 2+ months. I had a mpMRI done of my prostate and it came back clear, which eased my mind while waiting to see the Uro. You might consider getting a mpMRI done...asap.

• Posted

I've read guys who had a PSA over 2000. and another with a PSA of 6006.

There's a retired doctor who reads and posts here occasionally who has had PCa for 17 years and does nothing but keep testing.  I also know a nurse who worked with urologists and she says she wouldn't tell her husband if his PSA was high.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.