Extremely high tsh level over 400, has anyone else experienced this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism but my levels for tsh were extremely high and the dr was baffled. He prescribed me 75mcg levothyroxine and i have an ultrasound coming up as well.

tsh - 451.7

t4 free - .11

what could this mean? any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

could they have put the decimal point in the wrong place? Normal levels are .4 to 4.0. Looks like it was a typo to me. I think it would be impossible to have a level at 451.7. you probably should be retestested and I would certainly question your Dr. about the possibility of a typo. Even if it's actually 4.5, that's still high. Have you had your t-3 and t-4 tested too?

• Posted

i was retested already and the numbers were correct. (same both times)

my t4free was .11

im scared because i cannot find anything with numbers like that.

• Posted

first of all test again from a different lab.

please check twice again before going for a treatment. you shoud have three tests from three different places before drawing any conclusion.

• Posted

i believe you. i don't know if mine has ever been that high but I have reached triple digits. from my experience when it gets that high the symptoms only increase marginally. in other words it's not a one-to-one correlation between symptoms and TSH numbers. so even though your TSH numbers are increasing your symptoms could be increasing at a slower rate or just plateau off. How bad can a human feel? When is bad enough as bad as it gets? At some point you reach your symptomatic rock bottom and you can't get any lower. So the symptoms of TSH 600 could be the same as your symptoms at TSH 60... not that either of those are good.

It's been a few weeks since your post and I do hope you are feeling better and have gotten your numbers lowered down to a more liveable number. I would love to hear how you are feeling now.

• Posted

it sounds like Atrophic Thyroiditis have a look at thyroid patient's Canada articles. also the one on TBAb

• Posted

i was looking into info about this issue and found your post

i was diagnosed with hashimoto on june first this year with TSH 466!!!!!! My doctor asked me to start a diet (no sugar, moderate gluten more fruits and vegetables) and wait 4 months to see if the numbers go down I am afraid to wait 4 months to retest, i believe he should prescribe medication for my condition

the thing is I do not eat sugar, i do not like sweets! i am eating gluten free bread and and I am literally lost

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.