Extremely odd pain that has been plaguing me for years, started at 18.

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, some odd 6 years ago ( was 18 at the time ) I used to lift weights. 3x a week. I used a strength training program called "rippetoes". mainly 3x5 sets of compound heavy lifts. I always noticed something funny.. My  left pec (closer to the arm pit area) would always have a tingle / tweak feeling every now and then. one day i PR'd on 3x5 because I was lifting with a friend.. It felt like had strained my pec! Oh no! So I wait for 2 months then I realize one thing.. no matter what I do it keeps feeling like I re strain it.. but one thing always threw me off.. it was never super painful like a strain. not too long later.. my shoulder starts to hurt a little bit too and the pain eventually radiated to my elbow. It wasn't anything crushing. But lifting weights would feel good for a few hours then it got insanely sore  / painful the next day. eventually I get an ulnar nerve surgery (3x at this point) on my left elbow.. The first surgery?  everything was 90% better for about 6 months then one night it started to hurt again. the other two weren't really successful either. the only thing i notice it fixed long term was the constant clicking/cracking in my shoulder. here i am with the same pain years later. I always will feel like i strain the back of my neck super easy and the back part of my shoulder blade (in between the blade, neck , and trap) kind of hurts when i look to my left. on top of that, i have a weird lower back pain when i bend over. im about 6 ft 2 185 lbs, lean and well in shape because thankfully i can run. can anyone give me an idea on what is going on and has drastically lowered my standard of living? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

another note . my neck clicks a bit when i move it back. in the back, near the spine. just a little click that if you arent me, is hard to hear unless you put your ear up to that part.
  • Posted

Daniel,

I can't say for sure but I have a suspicion because I think the same thing happened to me.

I too worked out for years, especially on my chest. I then started having terrible neck pain, pec sharp pains tingling and even burning sensations.

I guess I never paid much attention to asymmetrical strength training and ignored my back muscles for the most part. That cause my shoulders to move forward over time (nothing to counter balance the pec) which moved my head, neck forward into what is called forward head position (you should search for that on YouTube).

Apparently that pinched nerve and wreaked havoc throughout.

The solution too me a year but I involved physical therapy (although just told me the same thing as on YouTube) to stretch out my pecs, start doing row for my back rhombus, and lastly, stop looking down at my computer and phone all the time.

The end goal was the get my head back squarely sitting over my shoulders and reduce the inflammation and strain on my spine/nerve areas.

Again, not sure it's the same as you but sure does sound like it.

• Posted

funny enough i think i did the same thing. i ignored my back mostly. any way i can balance it out before i see my doc again in a month? just some basic exercises?
    • Posted

Yes, rows for sure. I would search YouTube for rhomus exercises or how to correct pec imbalance.
    • Posted

thanks for the advice. i dont think that's the root cause of the problem though, my posture is pretty damn good, but  i do feel strengthening my neck and back would help alleviate symptoms.

• Posted

Hi guys, Your symptoms sound like nerve issues to me.  I live with nerve damage and always will. I have had every syrgery and procedure out there. I encourage you to see a neurologist who can perform test which will confirm or not whether or whatever might be going on. It may help you to enjoy a better quality of life and also could prevent you from any further injury. Good luck to you both. 
    • Posted

Hi. I've already received an EMG, which I promptly couldn't finish because of the pain. Which is strange the neurologist said it's somewhat rare for people to quit an EMG. 

• Posted

keep in mind this was before my first ever ulnar nerve surgery .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.