extremely painful back, chest, and face acne

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 18 and about a year or so ago I started to form bad acne on my face. After a few months of this, which I was able to live with, but still was sort of self conscious, I started to get small amounts of acne on my back and chest, and it slowly got worse. After about a year of this I started accutane, I had read places and heard from the doctor that it will get worse before it gets better. During the first month, my face, chest and back did start getting worse, but now I am into the second months and my chest and back are completely covered in cycts and pimples. There are scabs everywhere, everytime I move I'm in excruciating pain, and bleed like crazy in my sleep. A friend told be vasaline could help stop acne from forming so I started putting that on my face, chest and back before I go to sleep. I shower every morning and where clean cloths before bed. What can I do to at least manage the awful pain while the accutane takes it coarse, and am I doing this right? Thanks,

Devin

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think you may be suffering one of the more serious side effects.  You need to get further advice from the doctor who recommended this. If you are in UK go to your own GP ASAP. 

If you are taking Vitamin A as well by mouth it will make the side effect much worse and you should discontinue

Stop putting Vaseline on your skin...it wont help acne at all and could make it worse. Vaseline is great for dry skin.

• Posted

Hi I have to agree with Marine Dee that you need to get yourself off back to the doctors asap as I have never heard of normal acne being this painful.  Roucatane helped my nephew a great deal with his acne but it did take a few months.  His skin is completely clear now with no scarring or anything. 

I also agree with not using Vaseline.  Normal acne is caused by blocked sebaceous  glands in your skin and Vaseline can only block them further and make it worse.  I don't know if you have seen a dermatologist yet?  If not I would ask for a referral as they are the experts in skin conditions.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.