Extremely painful periods - Fibroids, etc.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hopefully someone can relate or help:  I am 43 years old with "normal" periods.  They last about 6 days, 2-3 days heavy bleeding, the rest light to normal bleeding.  During my periods for the past few months, I have had extremely harsh cramps, bloating with a hard stomach/abdomen, flips between constipation and diarrhea (can get into gross details if helpful), extra gas, abdominal pain mostly on the right side to the point you can't touch the area right by the inside of the hip bone (acutally went to urgent care thinking I was having an appendicitis) and to the point that I can't walk right.  I'm bent over shuffling along.  I went to my obgyn and he has done ultrasounds and recently an MRI.  I was diagnosed with numerous fibroid tumors, a few degenerating.  He said nothing will help with surgery because that is the exteme scenario, just take pain meds.  Being a smoker (even though cut way down because I'm trying to quit) the pill is out.  I'm really not a pill taker so 4 hour doses of motrin or whatever isn't ideal, I rather have a firm answer on what is causing this horrific pain and what would be the fastest and easiest solution to removal it all. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think you definitely need to get a second opinion! I am literally in the exact same boat as you (43 w/fibroids, with excruciating pain during my periods), and I find it hard to believe that an OBGYN would be this vague or flippant about what you're experiencing.

I am not a doctor at all, so this is all conjecture, but based on my own experience, I can only guess that what's happened is that your fibroids have grown from "minor, but manageable nuisance" to serious problem that now needs medical intervention. In other words, they are beginning to reach a critical stage.

A doctor can't just blow this type of pain off with the advice to "just take meds," because once your fibroids have reached a critical stage, they're just going to get worse and worse until something has to be done about them. In other words, you can take pain meds to get you through the next few months but by then, your fibroids will have gotten so bad that you'll be needing some kind of surgery, anyway. In my case, I have no choice but to get a hysterectomy at this point from both pain and anemia the fibroid is causing.

For you,  it doesn't have to go that far (if your fibroids aren't too far along, there are other options besides a hysterectomy. like injections or a myomectomy). But geez, if you're in that much pain (and consistently for the past several months), an OBGYN should be discussing options now that your fibroids are affecting your quality of life and also explaining why you're in such pain, not just saying "take pain meds." Which is why, like I said, I would recommend getting a second opinion. exclaim

• Posted

Thank you!!  I was so frustrated when I got off the phone with him that I immediately said I need a second opinion because everything he said still had no answer to reason I'm having the horrible pain just during my periods. I get that the degenerating ones can cause pain but I'd assume (probably not smart) that it could be at anytime, not just once a month. I appreciate your feedback and push to get the 2nd opinion.  Here's hoping I get the answers I need!
  • Posted

My suggestion is to change doctors. Try to get a female doctor and make sure she is a gynecologist. Research her and see what she specializes in. Sounds like you need to have them remove. I'm no expert, just my opinion from my past experience with heavy bleeding and horrible cramps
    • Posted

Female doctors are not necessarily a better choice than male doctors just because fibroids are a female problem. Some of them can be just as uncaring and dismissive as any male doctor. A female OBGYN I went to three years ago gave me a clean bill of health, even though it turned out I was growing a huge fibroid at the time.
    • Posted

That is correct, which is why I suggested to research the doctor first and to see what she specializes in. I normally have a male doctor. However, when this issue started I did my research to seek a doctor that specializes in my condition.
    • Posted

I thought the same thing, a female doctor this time around.  Yes they can be just like men but I'll get referrals from friends and weed out the ones I think would just dismiss me. 
  • Posted

Hi I'm 42 years old and have had my myomas removed 2 years ago now. I actually went to my gyno yesterday as I was having the same symptoms as you. My myomas are growing again but luckily quite small. So she was looking at other reasons for the pain. She has now prescribed me fiber that I need to take twice a day, and see if it helps. She said it is to do with hormones it can cause you to be constipated and even if you think you (excuse me) cleared your bowels out, you can still be backed up. And that I should clearing my bowels hopefully twice a day.

Hope that helps! And good luck /Sarah

• Posted

Thank you Sarah!  It does help and I'm definitely going to try the fiber route too.  Everything will help at this point!
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you're in a lot of pain, I had a degenerating fibroid (as well as several other large ones) and I was in agony with similar symptoms. My gynae suggested taking Esmya once she had ruled out endometrial cancer, and it has helped a lot, although it isn't a solution. I still probably need surgery but have been stalling as I have to pay for my treatment here (Spain) and also I am reluctant to have a full hysterectomy.

I do agree you need a second opinion, the fibroids won't disappear on their own, they will continue to grow and cause problems. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you Christine and I do hope you find relief without having to go through a full hysterectomy!! (let alone the cost of getting that done sad)
  • Posted

I was in the same boat as you.  I now take organic blackstrap molasses and apple cider vinegar to aleviate all symptoms.  Good Luck.
    • Posted

I didn't realize about the apple cider vinegar.  I take a tablespoon a day to help with cholesterol issues but I'll up my game with it around my period now!! Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.