Extremely small optic cups and loop in left eye?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could explain a few things to me as I'm slightly confused.

I had an appointment yesterday with a consultant Neuro opthalmologist. I have been experiencing horrendous problems with my vision. mostly my peripheral vision which is absent but I also experience episodes, 8 now in total by which I have lost my vision temporarily. as you can imagine it's absolutely terrifying. After many tests the consultant said that my eyes were in fact fine but the wiring in the brain wasn't quite right hence the problem with my vision loss. She said that my scans revealed I had extremely small cups which were almost non existent and that I had a loop in my left eye. I was told I was high risk for aortic ischemic optic neuropathy. can someone please explain to me what this means exactly. I have no idea and felt to embarrassed to ask her. I have been referred for an MRI scan and she has also ordered some creatinine blood tests to check kidney function. She did mention that high blood pressure could cause the blood vessels behind the eyes to constrict but again I'm not sure what this means. My eyes are actually quite healthy which is great, she said initially she believed it was a functional not anatomical problem. She then put in some eye drops which even after two attempts did not dilate my eyes even slightly and then said about the cup size and that she had observed s loop. I have no understanding as to what any of this means. Could someone please explain these terms and offer any advice if youve had a similar experience or diagnosis. Thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It sounds as though you are being told that your eyes are fine but the blood supply to your eyes and the optic nerve may be at fault.

It sounds as though everything is being done to sort things out,so just go along with all you are told..this is essential. Dont be afraid to ask for everything to be explained to you.

If you are in UK you can also ask your doctor to explain more thoroughly. Make an appointment specifically for this purpose.

You could also ask your optician to explain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.