Extremely sore after MUA from TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

This has been a long haul.  TKR 12/21/15, stuck at 90 degree bend & just had MUA 4/28.  I kept putting it off hoping I could gain a better bend on my own.  I had immediate gains the day of the MUA but have been SO swollen and sore that I am in worse shape than I was prior to MUA.  My PT is convinced that I strained my quad during the MUA due to the excessive swelling and pain.  Has anyone gone through something similar?  I am resting my leg the best I can as well as icing & elevating, but I also need to bend so I don't build up the scar tissue again...Frustrating!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Shannon,

I just had my right knee TKR on 3/21/16 after the left 5 years aog and a left revision 4 years ago.

I have extreme amount of swelling which is precluding me from getting progress in Range of Motion. The problem is not scar tissue but rather swelling. I have an amazing Physical Therapist and she has helped me immensly. She seems to be the only one who understands my pain and problems as swelling. In this case it is my thigh muscle and in particular my ITB (Iliotibial Band) which is thick and swollen and extremely painful. Nerve pain running amok up and down my outside leg.

The majority of pain is soft tissue and not the kee joint. This is crazy.

I an taking Gabo Pentin for the nerve pain, and am still on time release morphine as well as Dilaudid every 4 hours.

I see my surgeon this wednesday on May 4th which is 6 weeks and 3 day post op.

Wish me luck. I hope you get relief.......sometimes its swelling and needs massage and warm water pool (98F) to loosen the tendens and muscles..rather than a PT person forcing your leg to move

• Posted

Good luck on Wednesday!  I said the same thing to my PT this morning...my knee isn;t what is so horribly sore right now...it's my quad that feels like I tore or strained it during MUA.  If I didn't have the swelling, I think I could get to where I need to be.  I'm 46 and extremely active & this has been a frustrating journey.  Please let me know how your appointment goes.
    • Posted

Jimjuly,

i also had had a very angry, irritated IT band.  You need to massage it...or better yet have someone massage it.....rub in small circles...up and away from your knee....do Not rub down.   This hurts a lot while being done...but the relief afterwards is unbelievable.  I know you can not really reach it...but 8 used a rolling pen to roll my out.  My PT rubbed it for me also.

A stretch my PT gave me was cross your good leg in front of operated leg....heel of good one I front of operated one...now push your hip out (this is the hip of operated leg) to the side as far as you can and hold for 30 seconds.  Repeat 5 times work up to 10 times.

i understand the pain this causes...it was the worse pain I ever had.  It woke me at night while taking pain meds.

hope it gets better.

pam

• Posted

Thanks Pam,

I was getting really down as it has gone on for so long. I read where there is a "surgical release" if it does not release with PT and drugs. I know I am projecting, but DAMN....i cant imagine that operation.

I see doc tomrrow and will report back, I dot expect much from him. 

I am taking Gaba Pentin which seemed to help in the first two weeks, but I dont think is doing much anymore.

I will ask about Lyrica or some other med.

Did you use anything?

I will use my "muscle roller" bar. I am a bit leary as the last time I must have overdone it and ended up in hospital with excruciating pain that evening. Maybe it wasnt even related.

jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.