Extrusion L5-S1 w/ 6mm fragment within neural foramen

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, my name is Xenia, I am 31 years old and on June 10th I had severe leg pain and that’s when my journey started with the Low back pain radiating to left leg.. I am taking oral medications and I’ve been on them for about 45 days along with physical therapy. Medications don’t work and they haven’t been improving the pain am getting. Physical therapy can’t do much because everything hurts. I can NEVER sit down, it is very painful to walk or stand. I literally haven’t been able to move for 45 days! Not even with medications. I’ve never felt that kind of pain. My MRI states “left foraminal disc extrusion/herniation at L5-S1 with a 6mm disc fragment within the neural foramen displacing the left L5 nerve root posteriorly”.. they told me about the cortisone injections but I am unsure if it will help or if it is safe to do.. I am lost and don’t know what is the right thing to do!! Do I need to go into surgery? Do I need to get the injections? Every doctor I ask they advise me with different things.. some said I don’t need to do anything except oral medications and physical therapy, some said I need to get into surgery, some said I need the injections!! sad please help me

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Xenia, I am sorry you are having this problem.  I am much older than you but I have been having this problem for some years.  I had an operation 10 years ago to remove spurs on my lower back and all was well for a while.  Then I started with the problems in the sciatic nerve on both sides.  To cut a long story short, I have been having injections in my spine ever since until now. They only worked for me for a while. I have been told that my only course of action now is surgery now as I have 3 bulging discs. It has impacted on mine and my families lives as I lost my freedom.  Sorry I can't be of more help but the injections might help you as I know people who they do.  Maybe give them a try and take it from there.  Keep in touch with the forum and let us know what you decide. x 

• Posted

Oh nooo sad I hope you feel better! I know how hard it is to not be able to move and do things and rely on your family. I’ve never had issues with my back before until now and I am in an unbelievable amount of pain. I will be getting the steroid injection in few days and am hoping it will help but from what I’ve heard, injections stop the pain temporarily and as soon as it wears off I will be back to the same pain am having. My doctor said I can only get 3 injections in one year and if after the 3rd injection I wasn’t better, then it is what it is he said. We’ll find something else. 
  • Posted

Hi Xenia, I am a retired pain management doc and here's my free advice. Always go for the the most conservative therapy you can get away with first. You are in so much pain it is obvious that you can't go the physical therapy route. You've got that bulging disc with a piece of it pressing on a nerve and that is incredibly painful. So, the next thing to do is to give the steroid shots a try, the series of three may shrink everything back into place for you and give you a chance to avoid surgery.  It is well worth attempting conservative measures before resorting to surgery.  In your case I would say that if the series of 3 epidural steroids don't provide you with permanent relief, then it is time to look for a minimally invasive type of surgery to go in and get out that piece of disc. You don't need major spinal surgery with laminectomies and fusions etc. Just a microdiscectomy, through a scope, out patient type of surgery..

HTH

Lynn

• Posted

Thank you so very much! I really do appreciate the advice. I made an appointment on the 26th of July for the 1st shot and I hope it will take the pain away to be able and do physical therapy. Thank you again soooo much. May god bless you. 
  • Posted

I had been dealing with my same problem... unbelievable pain.. only. I had 12mm. last may I had the l4 and 5 fused. it seemed to have gone fine... Although I suspect I may have an issue going on.. lately ive had the pain in legs... muscle pain again.. now with the weakening.. but I seem to feel it in my arms as well.. no idea what is going on. I guess I need an MR I. its a tough decision to make for this surgery. but the needles and PT were bot even an option I was too far gone. good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.