Eye discomfort after cataract surgery

Posted , 36 users are following.

I had cataract surgery five days ago. On taking the dressing off the next day my vision was brilliant and no discomfort.

On the morning of the third day (Saturday) it felt as if I had something in the outside corner of my eye and that the clarity of vision was somewhat less. As it didn't wear off I called the out of hours ophthalmic nurse. She first asked me to check for an eyelash or anything in the eye. Her second suggestion was that I could have a sensitivity to the cheapo NHS eye drops with preservative in them.

We agreed to leave the situation until after applying the next eye drops. Things were no better when she called me back. She offered to get the on call eye doctor to see me at the hospital.

I did not feel that it was urgent enough for that and that I would leave it until today ( Monday)

The discomfort worsened over night and I called the daytime contact number. They took my details and will pass them on to the eye clinic and someone will call me back...but it might not be today.

The feeling is rather like when many years ago I wore contact lenses and I put one in wrongly.

Has any other reader had the same sensation?

3 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you carol. Yes you may be right. It already as started to feel better..
  • Posted

I had my second operation done 3 months ago. I have now been left with a permanent

sore eye and it is dry with cloudiness on the outside and bottom of the eye. I am told my

eye is okay!!

When I had my other eye done it was bloodshot after the operation. With this eye I was left with an eye full of blood that took 2 weeks for it to go and I have had a problem ever since. The surgeon was really rough.

My experience is that when things go wrong they don't want to know, you are left on your

own. It is devastating, as you can't switch off from your eyes.

I was the 2nd to last to get mine done from about 30 patients that morning. With my first

eye I was the first patient, it clearly makes a difference. I don't think they can cope with the numbers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Posted

The pain I was getting was put down to dryness in the first eye done. I twice phoned about it and was each time given an appointment for the same or next day. First time I was given artificial tear drops and the second it in gel form. That was easier to apply and more effective. I had a follow up appointment in mid February when the consultant told me that I now have perfect distance vision and everything is fine apart from a slight dryness in the left eye.

If it is a problem I should ask my doctor for a prescription for the gel. Problem with the gel is that it has a two week life span so I cant keep it for occasional use.

30 patients, how many doctors? At the hospital I went to it was just one surgeon who did six in the morning and six in the afternoon.

• Posted

Derek

Thank you for the info. Can you tell me the name of the drops you have tried and

particularly the one you found most effective. I have tried a number of them, but to no avail but am prepared to try anything to help stop this soreness.

• Posted

celluvisc gel.

Have you asked the hospital for another appointment? For eyes ours is good. For anything else rubbish.

• Posted

Thanks Derek, yes I was given Celluvisc (not the gel though) 6 times a day. I have just

received a letter from the hospital and apparently they are going to send me an appointment so hopefully something will be done.

• Posted

Hi carol , I am having messages and they are all way out of date ..strange 

it went for check up after having had one eye done 

was told they don't want to do other one at present which means more expenses on glasses , sunglasses for driving 

my own optician strongly disagrees as I was in the system and now out of it ,,he says it will not be long before he has to refer me back ..work for him Back to end of waiting list for me 

hope you resolved your issues ..I still have dry eye in both eyes .strange 

good luck .

• Posted

Nanulance  What are you using for your dry eyes, I have tried many, many drops but they all seem to make my eyes worse i.e. making the surface of the eye very sore and make my eyes even drier, even ones without preserative.  Have you found any solutions??
    • Posted

Hi , think it's carmellose I was given .. No preservative ..optician said it's one of the best .. Still find it only helps for short period , but if you saw my message above  I am not having other eye done at present ..disappointed as it will need done 
  • Posted

This is not exactly to Derek ,just general .. I had cataract in Scotland .very efficient and painless with only anaesthetic eye drops . Still feel eyes irritated almost as if I have contact lense in .. Was not prepared for this feeling 

stopped eye drops to day after 28 days. But don't really want to 

my check up is on 2 may . What to do ? 

• Posted

It sounds very like the dryness I had. When the second eye was done it did not feel like that. The consultant later gave me a gel version of the artificial tears to use for two weeks one the first eye that more or less stoped the feeling of irritation.

Later it felt OK and I have had no problem since...........except trying to find my reading glasses when I need them:-)

You could ask your GP for artifial tears/gel.

Which Scottish hospital? A friend went to Livingston for her first one and is booked for the Edinburgh Eye Pavillion for the next one.

• Posted

I went to jubilee in Glasgow ..thanks for advice ,thought it was just me that felt like this ..keep feeling like taking lense out .weird 

some people were talking about different instructions .i had to wear shield on eye at night for a week , don't bend for week and be careful bending for 4 weeks .everyone seems to get different instructions .

my eye drops arePred Forte 

i am am hoping to get other eye done in May but don't know ..

• Posted

Very strange. With the anastheatic injected one I was told to wear the dressing and eyeshield overnight for the first night only.

With the local anastheic and clear eyeshield I was told to take it off at bedtime.

I was told no lifting for I think the first week but don't remember that  they mentioned bending.

As I said elsewhere the next day was normal. I travelled by train to the races and was out and about for ten hours.

Good luck with the next one. I had worn glasses from the age of twelve apart from about 18 months with contacts. I now see what I have been missing all those years. I now point out distant objects to my wife that she cant see with her specs on.

• Posted

They also said to rest for 2/3 days .also no lifting 

will be glad to get next one done .cant read excep on kindle .. ..

thanks for good  wishes 

• Posted

It is very awkward coping with different vision in each eye.I tried knocking a lens out of an old pair of glasses but my brain could not cope with that and I was seeing distant objects double.

I then tried using another pair at an angle so so that I could read close up.

Finally I bought the cheapest pair of one strenght glasses that I could find. £3.50 compared to about £25 in Boots.

The screw of one leg kept on falling out.

• Posted

My optician advised me to in to see him 2/3days after op ..took lense out of specs ..one that I had op on ..it does help but comical if I go out in sun as the other lens goes dark ..looks as if I have black eye 

I also after I have second eye done to go to pound shop for reading specs and just keep replacing them until eyes heal and can get prescription ones 

fortunately o can read most things unless writing very small 

• Posted

I don't see why you would need to keep replacing them.

I was told to wait four weeks before getting my eyes tested for reading glasses. They asked which optician I would be going to and I was vague either X or Specsavers.

They sent my details to X who wrote asking me to get in touch with them. By then I had decided to try specsavers. I asked if they send any report back to the hospital but they said that there was to need to.

After having tried several opticians over the years who had given poor service and wrong prescriptions and did a hard sell I found Specsavers to be very efficient and not pushy. I just had the  new lenses put in my old frames. Boots once wanted to charge £80 for that as well as the prescription charge. X had wanted £20 and Vision Express £10,

Specsavers do not make a charge for doing that.

• Posted

We will see . Not at that stage yet ..I go to spec savers also 

• Posted

There is a bit in the Daily Mail today (page 39) about eye drops and other products to scrimp or spend on. Always look for presevative free ones. Used frequently preservatives can damage the delicate cells on the eyes surface or cause inflamation that can damage the eyes even more. You can also develop an alergy to preservatives , making eyes red and itchy.

When I first went back with the eye pain and feeling of something in it the consultant said that it was caused by the presevative and gave me a preservative free one.

I asked why they had not prescribed that first....reply cost. 

This site no longer highlights 'speling' errors since it has beenupdated

• Posted

Thank you Derek .useful info ..going to Dr next week to get prescription for eye drops ..will remember that ..

eye test ..will have to continue to wear specs but low strength ,

• Posted

Just for reading?

I can read the computer screen from my chair but the keybord is a bit blurry.

My arms are not long enough to read a newspaper or book without glasses.

• Posted

Hi Derek

Thanks for alerting me about eyedrops, rushed out and brought a paper.  I am going to the Chemist today to buy the eyedrops.  Five months on and I still have a problem left eye and have not found eyedrops that my eye likes!!!  And I have tried many different kinds, mostly preservative free, I don't know those one mentioned however.  Will let you know how I get on.    Carol

• Posted

Glad you found eye drops ,hope they are success .going to dr  next Tuesday .hopefully to get eye drops or gel 

I have limo are at moment but it only lasts for short time 

irritaion makes me cranky 

haven't even had the other eye done yet ands it's irritated 

I did not read article .Could not access page 39 on I pad 

what eye drops/ gel did you buy 

interested to hear how you get on ..

• Posted

Yes ,I will have to use reading glasses also ..could not access daily mail page39 from my eye pad 
    • Posted

It was an article on whether to buy cheap or expensive versions of products. Toothpaste and sun cream buy cheap. Eye drops buy expensive preservative free.

It may only be on prescription but I was given Celluvisc Gel for the dryness and a preservative free antibiotic ointment.

They said if it returned to ask my GP for another prescrition of the gel.

From the article:

Eye drops cost from £2 to £12, but you get what you pay for, say Francesca Marchetti, a West Midlands optometrist and spokesperson for the College of Optometrists.

'Always look for preservative-free eye drops, which tend to be slightly more expensive. Used frequently, preservatives can damage the delicate cells on the eye's surface or cause inflammation, which can dry the eyes even more. You can also develop an allergy to preservatives, making eyes itchy and red.'

Ms Marchetti recommends  products such as Hyabak or Hycosan Eye Drops, which cost around £8 and last two months.

'The slightly more expensive products also have a good amount of hyaluronic acid, the lubricant that provides relief from dry eye,' she adds.

'And they have a good pump dispenser - some cheaper bottles are rock hard, which makes them difficult to use.'

• Posted

Thank you again for info .  Will write these down ..doc may give me one of those 

we are lucky in Scotland as our prescriptions are free , altho not to say we have our choice but in most cases I would not know the difference. .this time I will write down a few things and see what happens 

we are all so lucky to have NHS 

• Posted

When I lived in Scotland one of my neighbours around 1997 was quoted three years for an eye appoinment in Edinburgh.

I was once around 2000 quoted 26 weeks when I had a stomach problem.

My wife went to see a locum at the practice we attended for a maxio facial problem. He said that he knew the consultant and that she would get an appointment in a couple of weeks. Turned out that the department was being closed at the Western General and being transferred to Livingston but they had yet to recruit staff. I was a year before she was seen.

I was referred for Physio and my GP said that I would have a long wait as I was retired as they treated workers first.

When I was qouted 16 weeks I wrote to my MSP who was also the Health Minisiter. He replied that he had not realised he waiting times were so long.

I'm glad that things have improved since I left in 2006.

• Posted

Sorry you have had bad experiences in Scotland's NHS ..not saying we don't have waiting list cause we do 

cataract surgery I believe there are or was 80 surgeons and 5,000 patients 

it would be great if it was quicker but at least it's free and they do their best .

what can I say ! 

• Posted

It's not all that better in England sometimes. I waited 54 weeks for what was said to be urgent surgery to replace my aortic valve. Mainly due to long waits for tests and finally the surgery request not being sent to the other hospital I waited 54 weeks.

I developed a skin condition in 2001 that my GP could not clear up. He said that dermatology waiting times were up to three years.

I went to one privately. He looked at my skin and said 'Drug allergy. Are you taking Enaparil?

Yes, I said.

He said, "Stop it and the rash will be gone in three weeks"

It was.

• Posted

Well done with allergy tests ..very positive!

hope your health is good now 

• Posted

Went to dr to day ..he was very amenable to eye drops looked up ones without preservatives 

gave meCarmellose 0.5per cent ?they come in individual little off tubes ...throw always 

thought you or some others in forum woul be interested

• Posted

I picked up a booklet when at the hospital today ," Dry Eye Patient Information" that is very informative.

I can't post the link as it is commercial but if you Google scope ophthalmics you should find it. 

• Posted

My eye surgery was a few years ago but I take Bio Tears vitamins by Biosyntrx.  I HAVE to take them for dry eye, otherwise vision gets blurry.  It's a result of age, not the surgery.  I'm 62 and wear a daily wear contact lens in the un-operated eye.  The daily wear made a HUGE difference in eye comfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.