Eye discomfort - told its dry eyes, not getting relief

Posted , 14 users are following.

The main issue I'm having is an odd haze or something like that. There's a hazy/cloudy distortion. It's relentless and I've been experiencing it for 8-10 months straight, every moment I'm awake. It's almost like I can see the air moving in front of me (that's one way I've tried to describe it)

I'm pretty sure it's always there, but I notice it more for things that require being still and focusing, primarily when using the computer, but also while watching tv or reading. It also leads to my vision being a bit blurry, my eyes feeling uncomfortable, and my eyes sometimes feeling 'exhausted' by the mid point of the day (like by mid evening, they feel like I've been up for 2 days straight)

I went to have an eye exam, and was told I have dry eyes

- First I was told to try drops / artificial tears, which didn't help

- So I called and the doctor told me some patients experience better results with this other type of artificial tears. So I bought those, used those for a few weeks, didn't help

- Called again, they advised I try the "preservative-free" artificial tears. Did that again for a few weeks, didn't help.

So I went to another eye doctor, who said the tear film on my eyes is very poor / thin. He gave me this regimen:

- Artificial tears x 2 a day

- Moist warm compress x 2 a day, 10 min each

- And take Omega 3 supplements, 4 softgel capsules per day

(he said this because I hate fish, and haven't had fish in over 12 years, so I must have an Omega 3 deficiency, and he said you need certain Omega 3 fatty acids to help against dry eyes)

So I've been doing all of that now for 5 weeks straight... 4 pills a day, the warm compress, the drops, and they literally have not helped at all. There is no immediate improvement (the same hazy cloud remains right after -- there's no change after the drops or the warm compress in any way) and there's no long term improvement... about 30-35 days doing the exact same thing every single day and my eyes feel identical in every possible way.

What more can I possibly do? It's incredibly frustrating since this hazy / cloudy film over my vision severely reduces my desire to do anything... to use my computer, to read, to watch television. The eye doctor says to keep doing it and it will feel better, but I not seeing any signs whatsoever of improvement. If there were even mild improvements, I'd feel optimistic. But nothing. It's the exact same as before I started any of the drops / nutrients / warm compress.

Any advice??

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Is there no answers to this in 2017. Post is 3 years old. This describes my condition like a carbon copy. I wish there were some information or suggestions. I just keep being told it's dry eye. Yet when I Google there are warnings against letting this type of condition go undiagnosed. Such as conjunctivitis and other issues. 

• Posted

Oh, now I see plenty of responses. I do not know how I missed them. I will be reading intently the responses! Thanks!
  • Posted

Was wondering if anyone knows where you can get styled fashion glasses no  Lens with no descriptions ! I find putting glasses on keeps 

the air blowing from  conditioners. Heat and cars    Lights in the stores. Out of my eyes.  Had cataracts out and was left with Drew very bad dry eyes ! Payed $2,300 for  lenses so I didn’t have to wear glasses ! Funny now I got this ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.