Eye floaters and flash lights

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Does anyone else have problems with eyes? I get a lot of floaters and more annoyingly a bright light sometimes, it's light a camera flash has gone off and you can still see it when you blink, this isn't like aura migraine lights this is different and usually in just one eye (can tell from closing one and blinking) can only see this flash type light when I blink it isn't there all the time, can last between 30 seconds and a few mins, please let someone else have this symptom of Peri xxx

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yesssss !!!! I have flatters 2 in each eye permanently and the camera flash is have too I put it all down to anxiety and tiredness please do not worry.ive had the floaters checked out they a re quite common take care Michelle xx
  • Posted

Hi Lou-lou,

I have floaters too, it's more common as you age and if you're near-sided. But, the flashes of light you should have it looked at. It could be nothing, I get them once in a while, very slight though. Many years ago, in my twenties, I started getting them and they were very noticeable. It turned out part of my retina detached, and healed back on its own. The flashes then stopped. I would have an ophthalmologist or optometrist look at your retina, should to be sure nothing is going on. smile

• Posted

Dear Lou lou,

Yes have the floaters and migraine auras but i would get eyes checked juat to be sure but menopause does seem to affect our eyes, mine are very light sensitive! Blurry and watery x

• Posted

Hi, yes ive experianced both. If you are older might want to be checked for post vitreous detachment which is common when a person ages,but younger people can get it also.
  • Posted

Hi lou-lou!  Yes on the floaters!  I have had them for years, and they are very common in almost everyone at some point, and as we age, we get more!  I was just at the Ophthalmologist this last week, getting ready to have my cataract removed, and he asked if my floaters have gotten worse...and my answer was a big YES!  LOL

I would definitely have your eyes checked though...those flashing lights can be a problem.  My mother gets those, and her Ophthalmologist tells her when she gets the lights, she is to call him immediately, and get right in.  I think one of the other ladies posted it can be a retina tear/issue, and that is not good!  This is very true!! 

My husband has had several eye strokes, and had to have laser surgery on his left eye due to this.  He is now to the point, they can no longer do anymore laser surgery because it is too close to the retina.  He has already gone blind in his right eye due to this, so we just keep our fingers crossed he has no more in the left one!!  

So you take care of your eyes...make sure you see your Ophthalmologist to have those flashing lights checked out!  We will keep you in our thoughts!  Wishing You Good Luck!

• Posted

hi lou lou.

this is one symptom that brought me most health anxiety.  I have had this, blurry vision, awful red eye and worry about sight.  I booked an eye test where they check eye pressure and the back of eye and all this stuff and it was fine, so almost certain that this will be the same for you.  It has eased and I don't worry about it so much since visiting the optician, so go because it will make you feel better, because it is just another thing that this awful time does to your body.  You have to go and have it checked though, just to ease the health anxiety that it brings.  

• Posted

Did he check your lid margins,mine never did 3 exams,4th different doc did,it turned out to be a thing called mgd which also causes symptoms you described. Its the main caus of dry eye.
    • Posted

I have dry eye really badly apparently, I did have a eye test when I started getting blood shot eyes everyday and he said I suffer quiet bad with dry eye x
    • Posted

However after googling this and seeing the lumps the optician did say I had lumps inside my eyelids and said it might be allergy rolleyes
    • Posted

Sounds like gland blockage from mgd best to get another opinion
  • Posted

I first saw something like lightning/thunder bolt on my left eyes.  20 minutes later, I saw strands of black lines.  Went to GP who then suspected retinal tear and true enough, the Opthalmologist confirmed and did a laser straight away
  • Posted

Still sounds like posterior vitreous detachment. Ive ben going through this process for years. Usually does not caus retnal detachment. Or could be something called phosphenes causeing visual disturbances. Unless you see a shower of hundreds of clear and black dots,lose perpheral vision or see a dark curtain affect covering your eye its usually not a detachment.
    • Posted

The vitrous tugs on the retna causing the flashs as the vitrous detachs this is NOT a detached rena,also accompanied by very annoying floaters,blurry vision etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.