Eye floaters causing anxiety to worsen, please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 22 years old. I rnemever seeing my first eye floater in 5th grade, ever since then I would avoid going on the computer since that's the only place I really noticed it... over the years I've noticed more, since noticing the new ones I've seen about 5 different eye doctors to try to ease my mind and I've done nothing but spend a bunch of money and still my mind goes crazy when I see them! sad i now see them on the walls while im at work (I work in a bright area) and I just recently moved into a lake house with my mom that I can't even enjoy because when I go outside these are all I can focus on.

I've had bad anxiety for a long time. I'm now on zoloft which helps with panic attacks but doesn't calm my irrational thoughts. my biggest fear is going blind and I constantly worry about it. I have 20/20 vision last time I checked (3 months ago, went due to a ocular migraine) which you can imagine also freaked me out.

I also don't know if what I see are "flashes of light" that people describe. I wonder if it's some kind of nutritional defeciency instead since when I see them I'm either dizzy at the same time or just feel light headed. regardless, I need to ease my mind SOMEHOW.

it's taking over my life I just want to be happy and live my life!!! now im always looking for new problems in my eyes constantly. help. sad(((

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Its called vitritis, when the vitreous in your eyes get inflamaed with fibers due to some reason. Have you been seen by an ophthalmologist? 
    • Posted

I went back in June or July and they said everything looked perfect.. I don't get it though because it doesn't feel normal at all

• Posted

Hi,first of all,i completely understand,migrains,aura,flashs,floater all completely consume me,i am however 60 when i was your age i learned to tune them out. At your age,in general,they are harmless. Im sure youve looked up tons of the stuff on eye floaters, i first got mine about your age,just a few small specks back then,as i got in my thirties i experianced all sorts of visual disturbances,but usually,i just could put them at the back of my mind. Now I have what is caused vitreous detachment..common for older people,younger peope can get them,in fact some go through years of the process starting at a younger age,ive now got different types of floaters,flashs,after images and the start of cataracts,oh i forgot dry eye,so you can imagine my state if mind. That being said,I think you probably just have common floaters,please try and let it go,if you do,eventually you will barely see them. Amazeing the crazy things eyes can do,also amazeing how the brain usually can adapt. Its the fear that keeps it from happening. I have anxiety from this,im on an anxiety med. Xx
    • Posted

thank you so much for the response! it's weird because I've had my eyes checked literally at least 4 times in the past year and EVERYTIME they say they're completely healthy... which I feel so blessed and happy and lucky to hear, but then I notice all kinds of weird stuff and like 8 floaters total that look like cobwebs and it just doesn't seem like that's normal to me. sad I also can't see very well in the dark but that's only been happening for like a week or so and im getting over a viral infection so im hoping maybe my eyes are just strained from that and maybe it'll get better... I really can just hope, I don't have insurance so doctors are so expensive and im just really down about it all. it depresses me to think about it sad im sorry you're going through all that too, I can't imagine

• Posted

thank you so much for the response! it's weird because I've had my eyes checked literally at least 4 times in the past year and EVERYTIME they say they're completely healthy... which I feel so blessed and happy and lucky to hear, but then I notice all kinds of weird stuff and like 8 floaters total that look like cobwebs and it just doesn't seem like that's normal to me. sad I also can't see very well in the dark but that's only been happening for like a week or so and im getting over a viral infection so im hoping maybe my eyes are just strained from that and maybe it'll get better... I really can just hope, I don't have insurance so doctors are so expensive and im just really down about it all. it depresses me to think about it sad im sorry you're going through all that too, I can't imagine

• Posted

Dark glasses usually can help quite a bit
    • Posted

Very common for floaters to look like cob webs,they take so many shapes and forms,they can be clear,black also gauzy looking. I dont think you have a thing to worry about. Xx
  • Posted

It's not something for you to worry about.  Most people get them from time to tme.  It is just "debris," floating around in the eye.  Very shortly, the brain will scan them out and you don't notice them any more.  I get them myself, and they are annoying for a time, but they just "disappear" until another one comes along.

• Posted

I never really noticed the "flashing lights" until I read other people saw them and now of course I notice them... do flashing lights every now and then (they're pretty small) with floaters mean something has detached for sure? because all the eye doctors I've been to have never said anytbing about me having a detachment of any kind....

again, thank you all for responding. I can't really talk to anyone about this they all think I'm crazy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.