eye floaters causing serious anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

hope you all are doing well.

I have myopia since I was in primary school and am -3.00 in both eyes, sometime during my early 20, i developed sudden flashed in my eyes which as you can imagine caused me to panic and I rushed to the eye doctors, they checked my eyes for tears and detachments but said there is nothing and my eyes seem perfectly healthy. Since that time the flashes have pretty much gone except when i'm going from a light room to dark or vice versa, but i guess this is just how my eyes adjust, anyway, this is not the problem. The issue is I have quite allot of floaters in my eyes, more in my left eye then right eye, there are times and in some lighting or days when i don't really notice them at all or much to bother me, but at other times such as when looking at a blue sky or against a light wall, particularly when i'm close to it, I see tons of flights, some light black and some cob-webish, and it causes me so much anxiety and panic that its the only thing I can think off, and I have to try calm myself down. So many times I have been to eye doctors and they check my eyes and say there is no sign of anything and the floaters are just as are.

I don't know, i'm just scared if they continue to get worse, i'm only 25 and already. I know other people have floaters which are probably worse and more distressing then mine but I dont know, does anyone have any advice on this.

thanks all, thats for taking the time to read

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Floaters are natural - just relax. Since it is natural your brain will adjust. However be very very careful about getting a retinal laser as it will do more harm than good. if some Dr tells you you need it lasered get many opinions and if its necessary have retinal pics done first, and then agree on the areas to be treated. issues caused by retinal lasers are unnatural and your brain cannot adjust.

• Edited

Hi I have those for years, having said that I got what i thought was a fly on my sunglasses and took them off, it was still there!! panic, on my own and didnt know what to do, went to Dr., sent me to have eye test done, they jumped me up the queue because of it, or maybe it was the panic on my face. The did a full examination, did 3d scan and showed me the Floater, it was so big, but they said it would break up and they were happy my retina was grand. they went through it all with me and mostly they said its my age.

The thing is Im super sensitive to all things eyes, because many years ago I was in an phone box and someone threw a snowball and brook the glass (as i said it was many years ago & glass being used) I came out went into the shop & Lady in shop told me to get into her car, she brought me home (I thought she was blaming me for breaking the window!!) BUT what she saw was my eyeball split... rushed to local hospital & then 5 hours to an eye hospital, had 8 stitches on my eyeball, three weeks later I got home, so take it from me floaters are no big deal, just annoying, but having said that, mind your eyes, be safe

• Posted

The floaters themselves are harmless, as the gel inside the eye starts to liqeufy (posterior vitreous detachment) there will be little pieces (floaters) that are not liqeufied yet that you will see. As the gel continues you may notice the floaters less as they fall below your line of vision. The reason you may not know many people who have this is because only about 20% of people in their 20's go through this, many will later on. Also not everyone has symptoms when their eyes go through this normal natural process. Everyone will have this happen just not everyone will have flashes or floaters. When outside if you wear sunglasses it will help make them less noticeable. Hope this helps!

• Edited

thanks for this info, I read about pvd that its common in your 50s, but can happen sooner or later then that also, especially if you have myopia. If someone has pvd will they still always see the floaters after the pvd is complete, or they will still always see/have them? defiently going to wear sunglasses, i have been doing that since the last few days already.

thanks once again

• Posted

I see floaters, but that doesn't mean you have PVD, only an Eye MD can confirm, young people are not common to have PVD

I don't wear glasses, in a sunny day floaters are notthat noticeable for me

• Posted

*I don't wear sun glasses

• Posted

You are correct young people are not as common to get pvd, as I explained about 20% do. Would you care to explain what the floaters are if they are not as I have explained? You are right to confirm you would need to see an eye doctor, as I am not, I am only a paraoptometric. You shouldn't give information and say floaters are not part of pvd if you do not know. Also just because your floaters are not that noticeable does not mean that someone else does not have larger or more noticeable floaters.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.