eye hurts and burns after caterac surgery 24 hours ago

Posted , 6 users are following.

why doe my eye hurts and burns, at different intervels, after my caterac surgery 24 hrs ago. my doctor said to be patient and in time it will heal. has anyone else experenced this after caterac surgery ?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It likely is very normal if your surgery was 24 hours ago. Likely you'll experience these symptoms more after putting the drops in your eye.

How is your vision?

• Posted

my pain is all the time even when i put my 2 kinds of eye drops the doctor said just be patient it will get better.

• Posted

Coincidentally, I had cataract surgery 24 hours ago. . My eye does not hurt at all. MY vision hasnt focused yet. I went for my follow-up doctor appointment today and he says I’m doing fine. Im still dilated and should see better when it returns to normal. Are you putting the drops in that you put in in before your surgery?. I don’t think your eyes should be hurting at all. I also had a multifocal lens implanted

• Posted

i am using the same drops. i was told i could be allergic to the eye drops but that is all they have that i can use so im just waiting to have my eye feel better

• Posted

I had cataract 6 weeks ago with a new lens replacement. I had minimal pain afterward and remember the drops stinging for a few days, but went away. Make sure you wear your shield when you sleep and don't get your eye wet when you bath and don't touch it for a few weeks. My doctor said to use an eye ointment if I experienced what you are talking about. He also prescribed pain medicine if I needed it. Fortunately I didn't need either one, but everyone is different and may have a different experience. Like the doctor said, be patient. I'm having my other eye done next week. I would not be concerned at this point. Just protect your eye!

• Posted

i also did try ointment on my eye with no success at all.

• Posted

I had one eye operated on 5 weeks ago and another one 9 days ago. And, even though, I didn't have any pain, both times I had an awful feeling like my eye is full of shredded glass. It went away next day. But everybody is different. Even healing of the same person's eyes is different. Vision in my first operated eye was crystal clear the morning after surgery. And the second eye took a little longer to see as clearly as the first one. The reason was a bad case of cornea swelling.

If you had your first post-op and the doctor said that everything is OK, then just wait a little and pain and burning will go away.

Good luck on your recovery!

• Posted

the shredded glass feeling is the dryness under your eye lid i was told. It fells like there is something in my eye all the time and the doctor said that is why you have to use eye drops all the time for the first 4 weeks after surgery but did not say why it hurts and burns off and on daily.

• Posted

yes it was a little inflamed from the fact they broke a blood vessel in my left eye when they did the surgery. he said it will go away in time. today its been 48 hours after the caterack surgery i had on 11-27-2018 and the pain and burning has just dissapeared.its gone except for the swelling a little, a far cry from the surgery i had done on my right eye 1 year ago. the pain and burning lasted 6 months.

• Posted

unfortunately ive had 4 cataract surgeries in the past year i did have pain after the last two. primarily at the incision point ( the instrument went in and out of eye a dozen times or more??) dr said its ok to take tylenol or other over the counter pain meds, which i did for a day or two also, the scratchiness is from the glue used to keep the incision sealed, the glue will dissolve over time and scratchiness will subside. i use over the counter eye drops as well as with any wound, keeping it moist helps in healing i was instructed to use systane ultra 4 x daily

hope this eases your mind and good luck with your recovery

• Posted

I think I cringed after reading number of times needle went in and put of your eye. Hope things have healed since and ate better for you.

• Posted

i have a video of the exchange of the exchange surgery, i suppose i could play it back and get an accurate count of how many times the dr went in. i know i had to have 3 incisions in order to open the capsule to fit the lens in properly, but the most sensitive incision was the primary incision, where the lens was removed and inserted ( also the largest)

• Posted

You are very brave. Haven't read up on exchanges but seems a lot more involved. Must have been a difficult decision to make Julielyn.

• Posted

it had to be done sue.an as the new surgeon said the lens was 1/2 way out of the bag and tilted. that explained why i had a shadow effect in my vision from the get go, and occasionally i would get a sharp twinge of pain from the haptic rubbing against the iris it would have only gotten worse, and the bag may not have been able to be reopened. im very lucky to not have waited any longer

• Posted

Yes I can see where there weren't really and viable options and doing nothing could potentially have been worse. Glad it worked out - long path to restored vision and you found an excellent surgeon that obviously felt he could do you justice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.