Eye injury

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I'm a bit worried about something and just looking for reassurance.

I was playing around with a blue laser in a dark room last thursday and think it may have damaged my eye. I don't think it's anything permanent but I'm still scared and I'm not sure what I should be expecting, so I've got a few questions.

Bit of info first...

It is labelled class iii 1mw 405nm, but I now understand a lot of these things are mislabelled, and are often more powerful, which is one of my concerns. I was wearing ski glasses at the time which protect in the 400nm range.

I was being careful not to look directly at the beam, but I think it reflected off a chrome surface and shone across my vision. It was playing with it for about 5 min in total, but stopped as soon as that happened.

My left eye became slightly irritated after a few mins and was tingling like I'd just washed my face with mint showergel. It was only the bottom left eyelid though really, not the actual eye-ball, which is strange and something I don't understand.

I was worried but the pain wasn't bad enough to stop me sleeping or anything, infact it really helped. I woke up feeling fine, but after 30min or so, the same part of the eye was tingling again, so I managed to get a doctors appointment for the same day (last friday).

Doc pressed around area and asked if it was sore, which it was not. He then dropped some green dye onto eye to inspect it, and he said he couldn't see any signs of damage. Don't think he checked retina or lens and just said come back if vision gets worse.

The tingling faded over the next few days, but now I just have the feeling something isn't quite right and I can't put my finger on it. I've not noticed any dark spots or anything, but I seem to be able to focus further using the other eye. And I feel a bit more sensitive to bright lights now.

Is this something which will improve over time?

I feel like I have less energy since then as well, which is odd, but might just because I'm worrying.

If there is a possibilty I could have permanently damaged my eyes in anyway, would I "know about it" instantly or does this take weeks/months to notice? And can you explain what these injuries could be.

Please help. What steps should I take?

I love my eyes and vision and feel like a fool.

Thanks in advance

Dan

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Also, if this is just temporary, what could the injury be?

The doctor was a bit vague and I didn't think to ask these questions at the time.

I can provide more info if you need it.

Dan

• Posted

Hi Danual: My advice to you to visit 2 or 3 doctors do not depend on advice of one doctor some time he could be wrong on his advice but by visiting 2 or 3 doctor then you can decide for you self what directions to take and which one is best for you before it gets too late.
    • Posted

Thanks, i will do.

What you mean before it's too late?

Can yiu give bit more info?

• Posted

Just got back from doctors (a different one) and he said there are no signs of any damage, which is a massive relief!

I told him my current symtoms, which are tingly eyes and less energy, and he said they must just be a bit dry and tired from healing. He said they aren't even slightly blood-shot, so just gave me some drops for irritated eyes.

Went to optician yesterday for a sight test. Apparently I'm near sighted in both but a bit worse in left eye. Think its called anisometropia or something. She also checked for damage but couldn't find any signs, and said it's highly unlikely that this accident could have caused that to happen anyway.

Now I'm wondering if i went for a sight test too soon, and if i would get different (better) results if i had waited a few months.

What are your thoughts?

Only looking for a bit of speculative dialogue btw, i won't take legal action if you are wrong.

Just saying "GO TO THE DOCTOR OR OPTICIAN" isn't very helpful or reassuring, because i was planning on doing that anyway.

Thanks anyway

• Posted

Why don't you trust the doctor and opticians opinion?
  • Posted

I do, but i'm just wondering if i should have let my eyes rest before i went for a sight test.

Nevermind

This website could be good. Let me know if it ever changes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.