Eye irritation

Posted , 8 users are following.

I currently use three drops for my glaucoma, Cosopt, Lumigan and Alphagan. The first two are preservative free but Alphagan is not. I have only just been prescribed Alphagan as an additional drop as my pressures have not been as low as my consultant would like. The Alphagan is causing my eyes to be very sore for most of the day. Is it ok to use something like Optrex drops to combat this. Also, is there a preservative free version of Alphagan available does anyone know. Would love to hear anyone solutions with regard to the problem of eye irritation.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Susie, I am fortunate that I only have to use one drop for my glaucoma & I use Cosopt. I learned many years ago, that preservatives cause more problems than they solve.

It is unfortunate that there are shortages of several different eye drops at the moment and Covid 19 doesn't help anything does it.

I will message you the Google link I have been looking at. It suggests to me, that one of your Clinicians will need to spend time looking through your drops and perhaps working out a different regimen for you.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks very much for the link. It would appear that there isn't a completely preservative free version of Alphagan but someone has kindly informed me that there is Alphagan P available, and although this has a preservative on it, it is a different one that does not cause as many problems. I am going to see if I am able to have this one.

• Posted

Yes you should be able to use a lubricating eye drop for dryness. Just make sure you do not buy one that has a redness reliever as those are not suppose to be used on a daily basis. As far as switching drops it isn't as easy, you would definitely want to consult your doctor as the drop depends on what type of Glaucoma you have, current medications, and if you have breathing or heart conditions. Best of Luck!

• Posted

Thank you. I would not consider switching my drops without consulting my doctor, my medication has to be by prescription anyway, can't just go and buy it. I am in the UK and as I am over 60 I do not pay anything for my drops anyway. I will discuss it all when I next see my consultant.

• Posted

Hello Susie

If you want to find out more about medicines, etc. go to Mayo Clinic website.

I look up all my meds. to find out about side effects.

alpine

• Posted

Hi Susie,

I currently use dolzolamide HCl/Timolol Maleate, (no preservatives), Alphagan P, and Travatan Z. I understand that the Alphagan P and the Travatan Z, have preservatives, BUT, not the one that causes all the irritation, BAC, Benzalkonium chloride. The Alphagan P is one I use twice a day, and it never gives me any trouble, in fact, that is the one that clears up the red raccoon look, that I have every morning. See if you can give it a try, the P is for the preservative that they use. Oh, better have good insurance.

• Posted

Thanks for that Patricia, I will certainly see if my consultant will prescribe the P version of the Alphagan. I did enquire at my local pharmacy and was told there wasn't a completely preservative free version available but he didn't mention Alphagan P. I am in the UK , and if you are over 60, as I am, prescriptions are free, so I do not have to pay for any of my medication. Each item would otherwise cost £9.15 each, so if I had to pay I would cost me about £28 a month .

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear your drops have caused irritation. I had the same problem with all the drops i was prescribed, red sore itchy eyes and also itching and burning all down my throat (i assume they caused some sort of inflammatory flare up).

Unfortunately this seems to be quite common regards side effects, some people can tolerate drops well while others really struggle. My hospital prescribed some type of lubricating soothing drops to help, they did relieve some of the dryness but nor redness or itching. I cannot remember the name but i discussed with my pharmacist which were available on prescription also were the purest before hospital appt and then asked hospital to prescribe.

I have not used any drops now for 3 years as, because of my poor toleration to them, i was given laser treatment which created new pathways for the fluid to drain away. This kept my pressures down for 2 years, then they rose again. I have recently had a second (and final) successful procedure which again got my pressures down to high normal.

My consultant did say there is an operation beyond that stage if eye drops really could not be tolerated.

Sorry, I cannot help further but you are not alone with the irritation. Despite doctors seeming surprised at it I have heard many have this problem.

Best wishes,

• Posted

I use preservative free Lumigan and Cosopt and I have not had a problem with side effects with these. My consultant added the Alphagan because my pressures had gone up slightly from the last time he measured them, and these new drops have been really irritating my eyes. Spoke to my GP this afternoon and he has prescribed me some lubricating drops so I am hoping these will help, although I'm not holding totally convinced they will. My consultant mentioned laser surgery to me at my last appointment, and he has actually referred me to the necessary department to see if I would benefit from this. It would be worth it not to have to use drops at all, at least for a while.

• Posted

Hi Susie, what type of glaucoma do you have? i have narrow angle and use Alphagan P, Travatan, Azarga and Pilocarpine alongwith the restasis for moisture.

the alphaghan causes the redness and relieves the redness im afraid. used cospot and lumigan years ago...

• Posted

Hi, Samantha, I have open angle glaucoma and now use three drops. Up until last week I was on two, Lumigan and Cosopt, both of which are preservative free. These I have been fine with. Consultant added Alphagan as pressures were up slightly at my last appointment. Like you it is this that is causing the discomfort and redness. Spoke to my GP today and he has prescribed some lubricating drops for me to try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.