Eye issues persisting for several months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone I've encountered some very unusual visual disturbances recently. Before I delve into my symptoms here's a bit on me. Up until recently my vision has been fine I've always kept up with doctors visits and physicals everything's always checked out I'm young and soon to be an adult. I suffer from terrible anxiety and am recovering from a lot of trauma I am physically active and participate in a sport I'm very passionate about and do not suffer from any head trauma. The symptoms I have, have been consistent for the past few months and have become more pronounced as the months progressed. I suffer from a very disorientating visual aura it blocks most of my vision and seems to be triggered by natural light outdoors the aura looks similar to the reflection of water against a well lit surface if that makes any sense. It covers any buildings im looking at roads, grass and the sky the aura used to be only visible when I looked up at the sky but as the months have progressed it became more defined and covers absolutely everything in the day light and well into the afternoon it doesn't ever go away unless I'm indoors with very dim light or if my eyes are behind sunglasses. I'm also suffering from blue field enthropic phenomenon the flashes are also persistent and never disappear and are numerous and very defined. No unusual increase in floaters ive always suffered from them, light now leaves a very defined trail and when I'm jumping or running I see what looks like grey veins covering the top of my vision. I've visited an eye doctor twice both times he said my vision was fine he looked inside of my eyeball it was very strange and kinda cool haha. I'm concerned about these symptoms and unsure what to do they've effected my social life and made studying and physical activity very difficult. My family does have a history of migraines and epilepsy maybe it has something to do with this, the aura effects both eyes at all times. If you read this thank you for taking the time to and I hope you can shed some light on whatever it is I'm experiencing kind regards!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can't really offer you much advice except be persistent! I had visual loss after severe headaches and was told my eyes were 'clinically' ok. I persisted and it was eventually shown that there was damage to my optic nerves (the myelin sheaths). I've still not got a diagnosis (although I'm working on it being Optic Neuritis). I've always been sensitive to light but now I can't use my screen in the office as it's just too difficult. I'm seeing a consultant again soon but I've a horrible feeling they will say they've no idea. Keep pushing.

• Posted

Hi it could be migraine I had the same for years,From age 10 .It lasted a few years on and of then it stopped .I haven't had a attack for 20 years now.I had to sleep it of for a couple of hours then I would be fine for a while ,once i had a attack everyday for a week. Ive also learnt to cover my eyes straight away after looking at things like a camera flash etc. with my eyes shut i wait until the patterns and colours disappear and turn black ,then i will open my eyes  migraine also ran in my family ,I also have sensitive eyes,  But yours may not be migraine how often do your eyes have this problem,Try to see if there is a pattern,or triggers

• Posted

Hi thank you for the reply the aura is persistent and never disappears it lasts all day everyday and seems to only be pronounced when I'm outdoors.

• Posted

Hi Mason .If its there all the time ,it doesn't sound like the migraine I had. I wonder if you should see the doctor ,tell them you been told  eyes are OK ,and see if they know what it could be, Maybe some connection with epilepsy,I must admit I dont know the answer ,but best to try another option of trying to sort it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.