Eye ointment?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have started to rub a 0.15% dibrompropamidine Isetionate eye ointment into my lashes before I sleep with some good effect.  It's an antiseptic over the counter treatment rather than antibiotic intended for mild eye problems.  Is anyone else using this?  I'm beginning to think it worthwhile to take long term but again want to see what others think.  Best wishes, J.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It will have preservatives in it if it's over the counter stuff so I wouldn't advise using it long term. But if it's proven working for you.. find out if there's a preservative free version and ask your gp to prescribe
    • Posted

Thank you Andy.  Idiot question number 77, why does it matter about the preservatives?  And do you think there will be a similar preparation without them? I'll make doc's appointment, of course, but I'd find it helpful to understand why the preservatives matter.  Thanks for your help.  Best wishes, j
    • Posted

Well preservative's are toxic chemicals at the end of the day, so too much of them can be very damaging to the skin. They are there to kill bacteria in the ointment that can grow over time, but if used for long term on skin it will end up killing healthy cells and can also have a rebound redness effect and cause allergies.. that's why anything used long term should be preservative free.
    • Posted

Thank you Andy - that makes good sense!  Best, j.
  • Posted

Also, my doctors agree with Andy on the preservative issue. The Celluvisc eye drops are preservative free.  I can use the same vial during the day, but I must toss it out and get a new one for the next day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.