Eye pain after eyebrow shingles has cleared

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello again, I had shingles diagnosed at the end of March this year above my right eyebrow. I was prescribed antivirals, cocodamol, tramadol and amitriptyline which I took as recommended. Whilst the rash was present I had some nerve pain in both corners of the eye the shingle rash was above. I saw an ophthalmologist twice over a two week period and was given the all clear that my eye had not been affected. I am still getting some nerve pain at the rash site (the rash has cleared but scarred) and the nerve pain in the corners of my eye has also come back again, it is on and off and worse when I am tired as is the nerve pain at the rash site. Is this normal? I was given a list of red flags by the ophthalmologist: red eye, discharge, swelling, blurred vision severe pain. Can anyone advise me please if this recurrence of the eye pain is normal?

Thank you, Sarah.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i have had eye pain associated with head and scalp phn since 2012.

The only thing worse than this is probably covid 19"

as long as your vision is intact feel lucky

i have had excruciating pain in my temples scalp eyebrows for 8 long years.

usually i pop oxycodone or get stoned when it gets out of hand.

being in agony is the norm for us with the phn.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing such pain years after shingles. I haven't been taking any pain killers for the pain as it is only mild and on and off, if it were constant I would consider going back to my doctor and asking for a prescription pain killer.

• Posted

Hi Sarah!

The pain you are feeling sounds like Post Herpetic Neuropathy PHN, which you with the Trigeminal Nerve being involved, are at highest risk.

If you have resumed normal activities, I would advise you to slow down and rest and sleep.

You might consider a consultation with a neurologist to evaluate medications for chronic pain if it is bothering you.

Gabapentin and Lyrica, two anticonvulsants, are used successfully to treat chronic pain.

Venlafaxine-Effexor and Cymbalta are two antidepressants that are also successful in treating chronic pain.

I am on Venlafaxine-Effexor, Topiramate, an anticonvulsant, daily for PHN and migraine prophylaxis. Both really help.

Your nerves are in the healing stage, and are still firing away.

Your body is trying to overcome this entire disease process. It was not just a rash.

If the pain is there when you are tired at the end of the day, your body is signaling to you to slow down, ,""I need to heal!"

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Also, Sarah,

you have more chance of ridding yourself of eye pain if you are more proactive now.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, yes I have been getting very tired recently. I have been in bed by 9pm the last few evenings. I work 6days a week and have been getting back into yoga and walking (probably doing too much too soon). If the pain continues I will think about going back to my doctor and asking for a prescription pain killer. The amitriptyline were great for the pain but made me so drowsy I was unable to drive and getting up before 8am was impossible which is no good when the majority of my work days require me to leave my house at 7am.

• Posted

I am also studying an online university course, after typing this all out I've realised that I am probably doing far too much too soon. Being 25years old I am overly keen to get back to my active lifestyle but am realising I'm more probably doing my body more harm than good as I am clearly not giving it time to heal properly.

• Posted

Sarah,

I was in my early forties, but just didn't realize what was happening at the time and was struggling to get a diagnosis for 3-1/2 weeks. I know rest is key. Lower expectations for yourself. l believe your body is sending you a message loud and clear, "I am too stressed and I need to slow down!" Stress is the number one cause of shingles!

Best Regards and Stay Safe

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello, I am sorry to hear about this. I'm not familiar with the medicine you mentioned other that the anti-virals but I strongly suspect the pain is normal. The thing with the eye is to make sure the shingles hasn't gone into the cornea and it sounds like it hasn't. This shingles can cause havoc for months and years--I am still struggling with my eye and it's been over two years. By all means, go back to the doctor if you feel more comfortable doing so. Rest as much as you can and eat healthy foods. Mild exercise like walking or stretching is good, too, if you can.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply, yes my ophthalmologist looked at all the eye structures, ocular pressure, my eyesight, behind the eye and its surface and everything looked 'perfectly healthy'. I may reach out to my doctor if things do not improve.

• Posted

hi Sarah my father took shingles on the head and eyebrow and eye 4months ago he has been on everything he could get but he experiences ongoing severe pain he has phn and his head swells and goes red even purple where he had the shingles have you ever experienced this is this normal part of the nerve damage any info would be appreciated thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.