Eye pain on focusing

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I am 37 and I've been suffering from eye pain for 7 months now, as a complication or better to say - a consequence of eye infection I had.

7 months ago I got sick with chorioretinitis (posterior eye, retinal infection) in my left eye. Infection spread to the macula, caused a macular edema. Infection was contained with the treatment but damage to the retina in macula remained. Since then I have a grey stop in my left eye view and some image distortion. But still i would say 80-90 % of the vision remained.

Overall vision, when looking with both eyes, did change a bit to the worse but overall it's still good.

But, soon after the infection pain in my right (healthy) eye started. Pain is triggered by straining eyes with focusing tasks (reading, working a computer, etc.). Apparently, my brain can't cope with affected image it receives from my left eye and tries to "fix" it with my right eye. But these "fixes" are strong, uncontrolled twitches of ciliary muscles which literally cause an injury inside the eye (stretched muscle tissue and connected nerves). One such "twitch" leaves me in pain from few days to few weeks, depending on how strong it was. During that period eye is painful, extremely sensitive to cold and airflow, painful to touch with fabric, etc.

All tests and exams return normal. Eye from the outside looks normal. No redness, discharge, anything. Brain MRI, sinus exams, etc...all ok. There is no external cause, brain is doing the damage.

Most of the last 7 months my right eye was in pain, ranging from mild to very strong pain and complete inability to use eyes for anything but staring in the distance. During worst days focusing eyes by simply looking at anything 0,5 m from the eyes would cause pain.

I have an office job and can't do it normally anymore. I am using huge monitor and screen magnifier to work with as little eye focusing as possible, but my right eye still hurts.

I've searched everywhere online, didn't find a single similar case.

If anybody have any idea, let me know, because I don't know what to do next.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.