Eye pain/ vertical heterophoria??

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi im 32 and ive had eye pain/ severe fatigue for around 10 years. when i wake up i feel like the top eye muscles are pulling and more strong than the lower ones. if i try and relax my eye muscles my vision goes out of focus.

Something is wrong because i feel like i always have to open my eyes really wide. its involuntary and i can help it, it just happens which is really embarrassing.

i have to try really hard not to open my eyes wide and have to squint to try and stop this from happening.

other symptoms : sensitivity to light

• i cant look at one thing for more than 2secs

otherwise my eyes go wide

• eyes hurt even more if i tilt my head forwards and look down

• i get headaches and nausea if my head it tilted forward for too long

• i feel like i have to tilt my head back when watching tv to use the lower eye muscles to help relax the upper ones

ive been to specsavers and told someone about this but they said nothing was wrong. i cant deal with this anymore this condition is so embarrassing and my eyes are hurting. Any advice???

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

That sensitivity to light is often the first sign of dry eye syndrome. Get some Hypromellose eye drops from your chemist/pharmacy...often called artificial tears, and use them before bed and twice per day. You cant overdose on them. If you are using screens a lot give yourself a break at least every hour. Dry eye syndrome is becoming very common all over the world as more people use screens for work and leisure....you are forgetting to blink and the eye surface is drying out. Dont ignore this. Start treating it now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.