Eye problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've got R.A. And on Benepali injections. I went to the Optician this week for an eye check. I was immediately referred to the Hospital for the eye clinic. After a scan, I was told I had Macular Degeneration. It's early stages and at the moment dosnt need treatment. I have to monitor my eyes and to immediately see a Dr if I notice any changes.

I know I'm in my sixties, but wondered if anyone else has had an onset since being on biological injections, or know if R.A. Can cause eye problems. I know it can be an age thing also.

Thanks for listening. 😊

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you on any other meds other than Benepali?

I was warned by my doctor that being on hydroxychloroquine for over 18 months can lead to eye problems.

• Posted

Hi Smiley, I was on Methotrexate for 8 months also tried Hydroxychlora, but had to stop after bad side effects. Also Sulphazalazine with the same effect. Been on Benepali for over 6 months. I also other general medication for Thyroid & blood pressure. I've only been on RA meds for about 18 months. Eyes only happened in the last year. Thanks.

• Posted

if you ask the answer in google it tells you RA can affect the eyes and how ,if thats any help
    • Posted

Thanks Chris, I will google it. I know you can have tired and sore eyes, but will look again. Thanks for caring. 😊

• Posted

My father (who did not have RA) had macular degeneration. So my opthomologist put me on Occuvites (a Baush and Lombe vitamin product for eyes) as a precaution to help head off the disease. 

But, being on plaquenil, I have to go to him twice a year to watch for side effects, but so far so good. 

Aging is great, eh?

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Timothy, I will look into the vitamin. All info helps. Thanks again. Linda.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.