Eyeglasses post cataract surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

For those who wear glasses after cataract surgery, if you could choose, would you prefer progressives, bifocals, or simple distance lenses?

0 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I really don't wear eyeglasses, except sometimes prescription readers, and on rare occasions, prescription distance eyeglasses when driving at night on unfamiliar roads.

Jim's suggestion is probably the simplest and cheapest, especially if you use a chain store like Eyemart Express, which I used.

• Edited

Given those three choices, I would take bifocals. I am wearing bifocals now, to be able to see near and far without having to repeatedly put glasses on and take them off. I am new to bifocals, and find them very annoying, but better than progressive lenses or single-vision lenses.

You did not list it as an option, but I might very well prefer monovision glasses. I think monovision is probably clumsier with glasses, but monovision is what I am used to and I think it would be preferable to always having to tilt my head the right way to see clearly. With monovision glasses, I would just put on my glasses in the morning, wear them all day, and see all distances fairly well without any head tilting.

What would you choose?

• Edited

Thanks Phil! I was thinking about bifocals although I wore progressives pre-cataract surgery. Basically I'd like to consider all options with the goal of thinnest and lightest because anything else is uncomfortable!

Many thanks.

• Edited

I continue to wear progressive glasses (only ADD) on top of contact lenses (single focus). I did trial out multifocal contact lenses, but they did not work out for me.

• Posted

Thanks pershoot! I'm not familiar with the meaning of ADD, could you tell me more?

• Edited

'only ADD', refers to only having the additional magnifying power (+2.00 as an example) in a particular zone / area (lower portion of the eyeglass lens), without any other power applied / introduced on the rest of the lens (it would be 0.00). Progressives can also have an Intermediate zone / area where the ADD starts being applied (~mid-lower portion of the eyeglass lens).

• Posted

Do you think the ADD could be applied to the top for distance help or would ADD be only for near or intermediate?

Is there a difference between bifocals and progressives other than bifocals having 2 zones and progressives having 3?

Thanks again.

• Edited

The ADD does not get applied to the upper portion of the lens. That is intended for distance. It is for intermediate and lower (near).

Bifocals have a line (there is a clear delineation); progressives (free form) have no lines (this provides for a smoother transition).

• Edited

If you require a bit more power for full distance correction, on top of what has already been implanted and granted to you via your IOLs, this can also be achieved, in the same pair of glasses. This is what I do, except I am boosting the refraction with a contact lens (on top of an implanted IOL), rather then an eyeglass lens. I am highly myopic (especially so in the eye that has the implant).

• Posted

I'd definitely prefer a smooth transition and no lines. Thanks again!

• Edited

Yes exactly, I do need a bit more power for full distance correction. Would you suggest progressives vs bifocals for that?

Thanks again.

• Edited

I would suggest a pair of progressive glasses where it will handle your far / int. / near, in one-go, with a smooth transition, therein. There is an adjustment period.

• Edited

Thanks pershoot.

Will all this correction make my eyeglass lenses thicker and heavier?

Another factor that needs to be taken into consideration is making each eye the same to reduce dizziness. Not sure how that would be handled ...

• Edited

Sorry to bring these semantics up again but if your IOLs were targetted for intermediate your eyes actually need LESS power (i.e. a minus sphere) for distance in the upper part of your progressives.

• Edited

'Will all this correction make my eyeglass lenses thicker and heavier?'.

That is dependent on the actual prescription, type / index of lens and frames used.

• Edited

"only ADD" are also called plano progressives and since there is no negative sphere you actually don't need an optometrist or a prescription or a lab to get them / make them… you can buy plano progressives cheaply on Amazon just like you can for readers (since they are essentially just fancy readers that you can just wear all the time because there's no prescription / distance correction in the main zone).

• Edited

Yea (I recently came to know you could buy them on Amazon sans a prescription, hehe), although going that route may not have the best visual experience without all the other measurements being taken in to account.

• Posted

I think I understand. The higher the minus power, the thicker the lenses?

• Edited

The higher the number in either direction the thicker the lens… with minus numbers they get thicker on the edges and with positive numbers they get thicker in the centre. That said readers (positive numbers) generally only go to +3.5. Prescription glasses for myopia can go into double digit negative numbers though and those would be thick. But -1.75 is a very mild prescription. Those glasses would not be thick at all, especially if you pay for lenses with a higher refractive index.

• Edited

Oh ya my faith in $20 plano progressives from Amazon is VERY low and I habe never tried them but… it's interesting that such a thing exists.

• Edited

I feel like I need to try these glasses from AMZ!; I'm curious.

I've tried to get out of glasses use, at least significantly, for this purpose. Unfortunately, my first attempt was unsuccessful. I may try again on next renewal (perhaps technology will advance a bit more on multifocal contact lenses (wishful thinking), by then).

• Posted

Eyeglasses in the -1.5 to -1.75 power range are very mild and the resulting lenses are thin and light. There isn't even a need for high index materials. It is a waste of money when buying prescription, and the optic quality of lower index materials are better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.