Eyelid swelling for 3 weeks with blepharitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

First and foremost, I apologise as this is quite a long one... Oh boy, where do I start?

It all started in 2010 when I had to have a chalazion cyst removed from my lower left eyelid, and was told that I have blepharitis. Ever since having the cyst removed, I have had no flare ups, until recently...

I developed eczema/contact dermatitis on both upper eyelids and both tear troughs, which has worsened over time. I've bought countless eczema creams and was prescribed Zerobase, however, nothing worked, my skin was constantly red raw, scaly, flaky and so, so irritated. Despite consultations and requesting to be referred to Dermatology, my GP wasn't offering much help until I woke up three weeks ago with my upper right eyelid completely swollen.

I was referred to the Ophthalmologist who examined my eye and told me there was no obvious sign as to why my eye was swollen, he insisted it must be a flare up of blepharitis and blocked glands. I was given Chloramphenicol eyedrops and advised the usual, warm compresses, practice good eyelid hygiene etc. I had already been using warm compresses, using Ocusoft foam and Optase anti-bacterial spray, however, I have continued to do as advised, and was also prescribed Elidel for my eyelid eczema.

Since using the Chloramphenicol eye drops, my right eye has become extremely red and blood shot, and despite my rigorous eyelid hygiene routine, my right eye is still the same, the eyelid is still swollen and both eyelids are still affected by eczema.

I've been using the Optase moist heat mask, Ocusoft foam/wipes, Optase anti-bacterial/fungal/viral spray, eye rinses with HypaClens saline solution, Optrex dry and irritated spray. For the eczema, Zerobase, CeraVe, Eucerin, SVR eyelid cream, La Roche-Posay, Fucidin H cream and finally Elidel.

Has anyone else suffered with Blepharitis/eyelid swelling/eczema and can offer some advice? I'd be greatly appreciative as I'm at my wits end with it all after trying so many products and not seeing any positive improvements 😦

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.