Eyelid tape to fix uneven Asian eyes caused chronic inflammation in my right eye, what should I do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm an Asian girl. I was extremely self conscious of my uneven eye lids, so I used "eyelid tape" on my right eye to fix it. You basically place a piece of tape on your eyelid and it fixes your crease. I find it's pretty common in the Asian community. I used normal Scotch tape as I didn't want to buy actual eyelid tape. As a young girl when I first started using this, I used it all the time. It really irritated my eyes, and I think I may have developed an allergy to the glue on the Scotch tape. I was so insecure about my eyes that I kept using the tape, even when my right eye was very red. Now, I've realized that I was being kinda stupid and have stopped using the tape. It's been maybe 6 months or more since I've used it, but my right eye is still red and inflamed, with seemingly no irritant. I'm unsure what to do. I went to the doctor and she told me that because my right eye's vision is worse than my left eye and I wasn't wearing my glasses, I was straining my right eye, causing irritation. I now wear my glasses almost all the time, but I don't really see a difference in redness, so I doubt that was the reason. I'm concerned of whether I caused permanent damage to my eye or not, and also if the redness in my eye will ever go away. Do you think if I go another year or so wearing any tape, the redness will eventually go away? As a side note, allergy eye drops help make my eyes less red. Does this mean it is an allergy? Will my right eye just be permanently very sensitive for the rest of my life? My left eye, which I didn't apply tape to, is fine. Also, my right eye has since developed infections, which I believe is due to the constant irritation. In the past year or two, I've gotten pink eye twice and a chalazion, and nothing in my undisturbed left eye. The internet has nothing on this topic, as I can imagine it's pretty obscure, so I'm really hoping for a solution here. Thank you!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.