Eyes Feel Funny in Menopause

Posted , 16 users are following.

Anyone have trouble with their eyes in menopause?  Mine feel like there’s a lot of pressure behind them and when I turn my head to look across the room or look down or up I feel oozy.  My depth perception is off a lot as well.   I would appreciate any info from anyone on this and what you do to help it and does it ever settle down.   Saw all kinds of docs and all say everything is okay.  So frustrating.  

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I get the pressure behind the eyes and all up one side of my head and ear 
    • Posted

Karla0607, any of the other issues I mentioned?  Anything to help?
  • Posted

Hi Nettie...

Yes, indeed it is quite frustrating! I've been checked out, too...ophthalmologist not optician. Said my eyes are healthy but I have seriously dry eyes. The dryness causes it's own set of problems...some you mentioned like an almost painlike feeling if I turn my head too quickly, depth perception off periodically,itchy, watery, dry. I have begun to wear contacts less, use drops more and rest with an eyemask that has beads in it and you can heat it or freeze it.

Another wonderful gift of menopause.

hugs!!

• Posted

Thank you, KatyD211, I’ll try more eye drops and the eye mask.  Sure appreciate it!
    • Posted

Hi Katy, I also have really dry eyes it's awful. Have you tried omega 3 ? I have and it's helping.

• Posted

Hi Jackie...no, I haven't yet tried omega 3 but I certainly will now. Ice heard it's good for us in general so I will try it.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Nettie, yes this has been one of the most surprising symptoms for me, sometimes it feels like I have Vaseline on my eyes, everything gets blurry , also the past few days they have been very watery and sore, thought it might be allergies but I only have it during time when I have symptoms, so it’s likely to be menopause related 
  • Posted

I am on Zoladex that puts you into the menopause and my eyes been funny have headaches too am hoping things go back to normal after my hysterectomy. I have glaucoma too but eyes feel sore and dry sometimes hard to read things too 
  • Posted

Yup. Ditto to all of the above. Eyesight is going downhill. Eyestrain is ridiculous. Floaters. Blur. You name it.
    • Posted

Thanks, Jennifer.  I just hate this feeling.   I have everything you mentioned as well. 
  • Posted

Yes! Oozy is the right world. It is like very short fainting feeling. Also feel like my eyes twitch inside my head. Nobody notices, but my health anxiety goes high. Plus floaters, blurs, etc. I am both shortsighted and longsighted for years, but this is debilitating. 
    • Posted

Thanks Lena, for the response.  This all makes my health anxiety go through the roof too.   I have fibromyalgia on top of everything too so then it makes me hurt 100x worse.  
  • Posted

Hi Nettie,  Yes!  I’ve always had poor eyesight ...glasses at 5 years old. I cannot wear contacts as long as I used too.  Dry eyes.  I have astigmatism in both eyes, so I get floaters...worse now in peri.  Pressure in my eyes too due to sinus issues.  I have opened doors and knocked my glasses off my face.  Hit my forehead on my side car window looking to the side...like a bird flying into a glass window!  I feel like I have a neurological problem, but all is clear.  
    • Posted

Hi Lou, I too feel like it’s a neurological condition but I’ve been checked out many times and also all clear!  It’s such a scary feeling at times.  Thanks for your response. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.