Eyes feel like lead even though had good nights sleep

Posted , 39 users are following.

For the past week I've been feeling very tied even though I've had a good nights sleep every night. I go to bed at 10:30pm and usually wake up before my alarm goes off at 6:15am. I don't remember waking up in the night and initially feel fine until after I get to work and sit down then my eyes feel puffy and heavy, I feel very tied all day long and can barely keep my eyes open.

I get light-headed, not dizziness per say but I do feel slightly unsteady sometimes especially if I'm using my eyes a lot, like reading. I feel like I'm in control and can concentrate when driving to work and back. It seems to be worse when moving my eyes a lot.

I work in a GP practice so I was able to get our HCA to give me a full blood test, the results came back with everything normal apart from my Biliirubin levels (it's what makes urine yellow - broken down from red blood cells). I had one of the doctors take a look and he thought I had Gilbert's Syndrome. As far as I can tell from a little research Gilbert's only symptom is the occasional jaundice and is a benign condition that effects 10-15% of the western population and is nothing to worry about.

So I think spotting the Gilbert's Syndrome is just a coincidence and would have been there all the time anyway (it's a genetic condition) though I've noticed having jaundice.

I also feel like I have pressure behind the eyes, and sinuses - though no pain or headaches which should rule out sinusitis. The best way to describe what I have is a lack of sleep, effecting my eyes even though I've a good nights sleep. I have no muscle aces or pain and don't have any brain confusion or disrupted vision in eyes. I'd been taking Loratidine for hayfever but stopped about two months ago, I've now resumed taking them thinking that perhaps I was having some kind of extreme reaction to pollens despite the lack of itchy eyes or runny nose. I take no other medication and I stopped drinking alcohol two days ago (I only have one alcoholic drink a day anyway).

I spoke to a doctor about it where I work, actually two doctors, and they both agreed that it was probably viral and will pass in a few days. I'm finding it difficult to book an appointment with my own doctor (my own practice is notorious for not being able to get seen). I'm going to try again tomorrow to get an afternoon slot - failing that I'll have to see if one of the doctors where I work will consult me; I am a temporary patient now after all - had to register for the blood test. I'm also waiting for results of celiac disease due to having loose stools in the morning after breakfast for a long time now.

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just googled this question because I'm feeling the same thing for two days now despite 10 and 8 hours sleep each of the two days. 

I always get at least 8 hours of sleep for the last few years at least.   I've been using a sleep app to track my sleep as well.    I sleep well, so no worries there.  When I don't get enough sleep (almost always from staying up too late)  I can definitely tell. My head is foggy, my eyes are tired, eyelids heavy and I often get a migraine.  I can also feel this way when I get woken up during REM sleep and have to stay up (ie for work or some other reason)  I sometimes get this way from TOO MUCH sleep which may explain yesterday since I slept 10 hours since i had a very busy weekend and was very tired.   However, last night I was still feeling tired. I was in bed 8 hours. had 4 REM sleeps that i can remember. (I forgot to press start on my sleep app lol).  I woke up feeling the SAME WAY. 

It MUST be related to the quality of sleep which I understand is more important than quantity.  I still had a slight migraine so I broke down and took 50mg of Imitrex.  The head paid is gone now but the tiredness in my eyes is still there.    I just hope I don't feel this way tomorrow since I have to work.   

• Posted

Hi Daniel, I wonder how are you feeling now? and what steps you have been taking for the last few years?

This condition is most definitely brought on by stress/anxiety, which in the long run affects your stomach/digestion, which in turn weakens your immunity by the inefficient absorption of nutrients, thus making one susceptible to infections and allergies.

As I'm sure we all know, when recovering from even a minor infection, our resistance to germs and other infections is normally low, when even a small transgression like sleeping late or not enough, being under nourished or not eating on time, or any overindulgence can compromise one's recovery and wreak havoc with the already weakened system. This is like a double whammy! when the infection recurs.

When this pattern goes on for a long time, it becomes more difficult for one's body to deal with this onslaught and every time there is conscious or unconscious stress, the body starts shutting down vis a vis; eyes shutting down, head heavy enough to need resting it, sleepiness even after a good night's rest etc.

Some helpful tips:  Early to bed , early to rise, lots of water, walk and appreciate nature, exercise, eat well...But most of all, try and be happy with what you have, and give thanks!

• Posted

I have been experiencing similar problems for the past two years and have found great progress and success with magnesium .I would wake up some mornings and feel like I hadn't even slept almost like a zombie .  I felt like my eyes were burning out of my head and I had such pressure behind them. I did some googling online and magnesium kept popping up so I decided to give it a try it has been two weeks now and the improvement and difference is absolutely amazing I personally take the powdered form of magnesium I haven't yet tried the tablets.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Sherese. How much do you take each day? I work in accounting and it is very important for me to be on point when my job is so detail oriented. I think I might give this a try.

• Posted

I've been feeling the same way for about 2 weeks now, I work in Human Resources and it is very stressful, especially this last month, I also sit in front of 2 computer screens for 8 hours of the day which contributes to the eye strain. It has been getting better though as I took a week off work and the summer months are allowing me to spend more time outside. I've also started taking as much breaks from my desk as possible and getting outside for some fresh air. I would say that the symptoms you are feeling could be stress and anxiety related.

• Posted

Strange i have had the same symptoms for the past few years . It started with a flu however.

I am an optometrist in practice for 24 years and i cant seem to figure whats wrong.makes me feel worse.

i have had a ct..normal ..sinusitis noted..done by neurosurgoen

but no headaches..i do have a sense of fullness in the ears and feel like my occolomotor movements dont gel with my vestibular occular system.

of recent i have also had MANY patients coming in complaining of very similar symptoms who also have been investigated by health care professionals unsuccessfully.

best answer i got was a vestibulitis  ..likely viral...no treatment

some days it feel better than others especially if im more active 

at my wits end

Vinay

• Posted

I've had insomnia for several years. just recently I was taken off a medication I've been for very long time. After I was completely off I started sleeping normally again. WOW! well now for some reason I can't stop sleeping because my eye lids are so heavy. My body doesn't want to sleep. I mentioned it to my dr and she said it will eventually be ok. I don't like not being able to stay awake. If I have to go somewhere or drive I'm not that way. I'm lost as what to do and what is going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.