EYES - Retinopathy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a diabetic, I have also been for retinopathy screening before many times. Now recently when I have been to the opticians for my usual eye check up, I have been told by the opticians to get my BP checked at every test that I have had done (BP is fine according to my GP). I have also been seeing spots which is getting worse and my vision takes longer to focus when I wake.

With that in mind I have my retinopathy test tomorrow afternoon also an appointment with my GP...who do I tell? I ask this so I am not passed from pillar to post between GP and opticians.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would ask your GP to refer you to an Ophthalmologist.  I believe the Optpmetrist [Optician] can also refer you but, as I was told recently by an Optometrist, they aren't medically qualified.

The Optometrist might give you a referral to take to A&E, who would then arrange for you to see the duty Ophthalmologist.  Discuss it with your GP.

Hope all goes well for you, Mark

• Posted

Thank you mrsmop for your assistance in this matter and will chase it up.
  • Posted

make sure you tell them both and keep on doing it

• Posted

I will chase it up and tell both GP and the optician/s both regular optician and the optician who is going to do the retinopathy test and my GP Who I will be seeing tomorrow morning.
  • Posted

I will put on the outcome tomorrow evening as to what happened.
  • Posted

Go straight to an ophthalmologist. He is a medical doctor who specialializes in disease or problems with eyes. Neither your option or regular doctor is capable of handling eye problems.
  • Posted

Thank for your input, but I am finding out more about Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. It is now attacking all kinds of locations around the body eyes including.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.