Eyesight

Posted , 9 users are following.

Recently diagnosed with macular scarring or degeneration. Jury is still out on which it is. Nonetheless, either one can be caused by a form of inflammation. Has anyone heard of studies relating PMR to either macular scarring or degeneration? Anyone experienced same?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I just had an annual eye exam that was mainly because of a RA medication that rheumy #2 had me on for 6 months before I quit taking it. At the exam I was stunned to find out I had the beginnings of macular degeneration. I asked the Dr who gave me the news the same question. She was not aware of any relationship between PMR and macular degeneration.

My father's eyesight started failing in his late 80's due to the same problem. I was shocked to find I've got the same issue at age 64. I'd gladly settle for just dealing with PMR - at least there's something that can be done for it.

• Posted

DITTO--but no family history of macular degeneration for me. Opthamologist suggested an over the counter drug to slow progression; it's called PreserVision AREDS 2 Formula by Bosh and Lomb. She says any suppliment that has the AREDS 2 formula will be fine.

• Posted

My OH was diagnosed with MD about age 64. He does not have PMR but his mother has MD and was diagnosed at a much later age than my husband. I think it has possibly been diagnosed early as he has annual eye checks. It has not progressed in the past 6 or so years and his mother still has sight in one eye and can see quite a lot of distant objects though she has not been able to read for some time. I have had PMR diagnosed for 4 years now and near the beginning I was told I had the start of cataracts which have not progressed. At a recent eye check up I was told my eye health was very good. I think we need to be a bit cautious about blaming PMR or steroids for many health issues which come with the territory(of age). I am not meaning to minimise a diagnosis of MD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.