eyr still hurts 40 days after cataract surgery why ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

why does my eye still hurt 40 days after cataract surgery ? doctor says i an allergic top all the fye drops i have had to take so he told me to stop taiking any eye drops at all. still hurts and is wet all the time every day. what is it and has any body else had this reaction ?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Most common cause is an unstable year film.  Although you have stopped using the prescription eye drops you may want to continue or purchase over the counterveye drops like Refresh or Systane.  They help lubricate dry eye which could be causing your eye to water more.
  • Posted

I sometimes get a feeling of having grit in my eye and it makes my eye water , but after a while it gies off , i believe this is caused through dry eye ,,,if you are still having pain this long after surgery then personaly i would get in touch with the eye hospital that did the operation , this at least would put your mind at rest ..hope this helps
  • Posted

I just had my last post opt check up yesterday and I was told again,  to use 'Alaway'   By Bausch & Lomb.   My surgeon recommends it for the eyes post surgery.  My last surgery was to sculpt the cornea in my left eye to remove astigmatism,  after my Symfony  Lens was put in.

• Posted

I had surgery on 21st & 28th June . My eyes are still a bit gritty and I do have some pain . I mentioned this at my follow up appointment &  was advised it can take up to 6 months for eyes to settle. I had cataracts removed & corrective surgery done at same time . Consultant says that the muscles in my eyes still need to adjust to being able to see without glasses . My prescription in my glasses was -7.75 

• Posted

The hospital where I had my surgery advised me to use Hyco Sans plus eye drops which seem to be helping . Some of the pain was due to keep eyes being very dry after surgery 
  • Posted

I was allergic to one of the drops (Durezol) after surgery. If this continues, please keep telling your doctor or get a new one if he doesn't take it seriously. My cataract surgery was last September. I have been dealing with an inflamed and swollen retina since then. It may or not be related to the drop. I don't mean to alarm you, but it is important to  keep telling your doctor if things are not right. I left my cataract surgeon because he refused to believe there was anything wrong and treated me like a silly woman who couldn't possible know anything about her own eyes.  Most people have no problems after cataract surgery. If you are one of us unlucky few, keep questioning if things are not right and don't stop until you get answers. Good Luck to you..

• Posted

I too have gritty feeling in both eyes and they feel uncomfortable, it isnt pleasant and like so many others there is no advice just recommending drops that make no difference(have had cataracts removed from both eyes one June 2016 the other Aug 2016.

Greta G is right you have to try to get help from the hospital that did the op and if they are not going to take you seriously then change.  This operation is so variable some sail through it and other like you and me dont.

I have my fingers crossed that you are going to be OK, like Greta G asks "is you sight better not even tho there is pain"?

Please keep in touch

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Google the article 25 Ways to Maximize Your Cataract Surgery to see a discussion of some things that can wrong after the surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Nina, will google this and let you know what I find

Regards Agnes

• Posted

You're welcome Agnes and try not to let the article scare you as much as it did me! wink

• Posted

PS that article is written by doctors FOR doctors, not patients, but it gives good insight into how really complex the whole procedure is.
    • Posted

Will let you know Nina, it may take me a wee while to get to it b ut will asap.

Can you refresh me on how your eyes are after surgery and what problems you had if any

Regards Agnes

• Posted

The article mentions a few things that a doctor needs to check before the surgery is done since they can cause problems after. I thought you might want to ask your doctor if all those things were alright before your surgery and if they could be causing your problems now.

I haven't had the surgery yet Agnes. It's coming up soon though.

• Posted

Hi Nina, still havnt been into the site that you recommended, but soon I hope I dont get much time to do the computer.  I am in Scotland and the procedure here seems to be so much different than the States and other places.  I simply went for an eye test and the optician told me I had cataracts in both eyes, he put me forward for surgery via the GP, after that, NOTHING, you get referred to the hospital, the Consultant checks you over and subsequently you receive an appointment for the op, never was it discussed what I was going to have re lens, he simply did the ops and that was that, I feel there should be more discussed regarding what one was going to have re lens plus after care after the op this is so important and I dont know to this day if I did something wrong to cause what went wrong and still is wrong.  On this site I have heard so many symptoms that people have had very few are good but some have written that it is a simple and more usually a successful operation, I beg to disagree

Regards Agnes

• Posted

I also had catartact which had not been picked up by my optician . As I had already made enquiries & been advised I was a suitable candidate for refractive surgery my cataracts were dealt with at the same time . As refractive surgery is not available on the NHS I was having my surgery done through Bupa which I have through my work . My work health Care initially wouldn't pay for my surgery but once it had been confirmed I had cataracts my work healthcare paid for  that part of the operation & I paid a top up price to upgrade my replacement lenses to correct my vision so I no longer had to wear glasses . I only had this done 6/7 weeks ago so my eyes are still settling down . My eyes have been extremely dry fir which the hospital gave me Hyco San drops which are helping a lot . I did also suffer from pain in my eyes for about 4 weeks after surgery . When I mentioned this to the hospital they checked my eyes over & said it could be  down to the muscles adjusting to the new lenses as I had a high prescription & an astigmatism. 

• Posted

That's okay Agnes. I was just suggesting you look at it so you can maybe question the surgeon about different things mentioned in the article to make sure you don't have any of those. I did a search online and you may have dry eye syndrome. I also found some info online and one person who's a nurse said this about someone's eye pain after cataract surgery: "Hi I am an RN and I just had cataract surgery myself. Pain in the eye several months out is very unusual. I am sure your doctor has already checked for some of the possible complications of cataract surgery like increased eye pressure, iritis, uveitis and other types of inflammations. Some of these conditions can be very painful. If you are not satisfied with the answers you are getting, it is always a prudent idea to get a second opinion. If everything checks out normal with the eye and his vision, then it might be important to pursue other possibilities and see another type of doctor like a neurologist."

• Posted

PS I hope both you and Herb find out what's wrong and feel better soon.

• Posted

Oh also, if you do have chronic dry eye, you can ask your doctor about something called punctal plugs.
    • Posted

Agnes I know NHS doesn't always prescribe a steroid or NSAID drop if you have pain due to inflammation ask about a prescription eye drop.  Over the counter drops help with dry eye but not inflammation.  I was also on 2 eye drops 2 days prior to surgery - steroid and antibiotic drops and continued the antibiotic drop for a week following surgery and steroid drop for 3.

Another thing you can do for dry eye is take  flaxseed oil capsule daily.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.