Face feels "numb" or tight

Posted , 12 users are following.

Starting on November 2nd, the left side of my face (cheek and under my eye) started to feel numb...Or tight. Like a pulling or pressure sensation.

Two days ago this feeling started to spread to my other cheek.

Im 27 years old. Not on any medication. I've been so anxious, fretful and worrisome my entire life. I'm always second guessing myself, worrying about what will be the consequence of my every decision. I'm extremely scared of strangers, large events, big cities, family get-togethers, etc. I've been under a massive amount of stress trying to plan Christmas and pickout the perfect gifts for my kids. Also, I have three kids under five. I love them to the moon and back, but the oldest has been terrible lately. To the point I want to pull my hair out and scream.

I'm not freaking out that I've got brain cancer or MS. I feel like if this was related to stress this symptom would have surfaced earlier because I'm always worrisome and stressed. Also, I tried a day of limiting my stress today. By the end of the day, my face is still tight and numb feeling. If I get a good night of sleep, usually this feeling doesn't start in for a few hours after waking up. Any ideas???

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hi

I am 24days into having facial paralysis on left side.

I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy due to severe ear infection.

It had started 8 weeks ago with pins and needles behind left ear which I feared was MS/brain tumour/diabetes.

I was told at the time it was TMJ but realise now it was an infection brewing - I had a full MRI of the brain and CT scan.

I would say no harm getting it checked out if you haven't already.

Hope you get some relief soon! Do you suffer with sinuses at all?

• Posted

Your reply is quiet interesting due to that fact that on November 11th, I became quite sick with a cold. I let it drag on for a week before I went to the doctor. My ear was so painful I'd scream and cry. I couldn't breathe out of my nose, fever, sore throat, hearing in the one painful ear was gone, etc. It turns out I had an ear infection. They prescribed antibiotics for ten days afterwards. My hearing has come back 60 percent in that ear, and the popping noises inside of it have stopped.

So facial numb/tingling started November 2nd and my illness started November 11th.

I have extreme allergies in the fall that completely block off one side of my nose that has a nasal spur and nasal valve collapse. Those allergies always stop at the end of October.

• Posted

No! Don't do it! Do not go down the rabbit hole of looking for medical explanations. Numbness in the face is very common for anxiety! Do not make yourself worse by doing this! I'm only saying this because I have major experience with anxiety and I'm going through right now.

• Posted

Hi, I get the exact symptoms you do. I've been getting these for the last year alot although i think i first experienced them some 5 years ago. I also get feelings in my left little finger and top of my left foot.  It's not like a numbness (i can still pinch the area and it hurts) more like a tightness. seems worse if i've had a bad nights sleep or if i've had alcohol (i'm 38, male, had on-off anxiety since around 20)

Went to the docs in April and had blood tests (nothing.. vit D deficiency but i think that's quite common.). I'm glad you're not freaking out about MS or cancer because I definitely did! It's nothing like that. I'm certain it's a manifestation of stress and anxiety, the brain mimicking what it thinks i'm expecting to feel... the constant self-checking (checking in the mirror to see any differences on my left side compared to my right, even in the rearview mirror of my car!) and not really being able to put this out of my head seems to be the cause. 

I debated insisting on scans but as another poster said.. it's just a vicious circle i think. There is nothing wrong, we are just worriers. I also have young kids and have quite a bit of stress. Xmas seems to give me the worst anxiety because i also get worried about family get-togethers, big gatherings and do's. 

I've learnt just to accept these feelings and leave them be, not try to solve them. I also find mindfulness meditations help (there are loads on youtube) and mild excercise (easier said than done with a busy life and kids!)

It's a relief to know somebody else has these experiences. Hope you have a great christmas

• Posted

SAme symptoms as you guys. My doctor says it’s stress.. hopefully it is I can’t even use my medical marijuana card it’s so severe

• Posted

It’s sad to say this but I’m glad to hear someone else constantly looks in the mirror and rear view mirror during panic attacks. I actually went to the ER because I thought I was having an allergic reaction to something even knowing I was having a panic attack but I needs to be around health professionals “in case” something happened. I have thought allergic reaction, stroke, Bell’s palsy. I’ve thought the right side of my face was pudgier than left and my eye was dropping. I have suffered since a teenager and it is severe then may lay some what dormant for a while then it’s back in full force. I had a job interview almost walked out in the middle cuz I couldn’t swallow my water cuz I thought I was choking. Xanax is the ONLY thing that helps and that’s sad but if I try and deal myself it never goes away. It’s horrifying!  My boyfriend says “just don’t worry”, to someone who doesn’t have panic attacks they have no idea that you can’t just turn it off. There are days I seriously think I’m dying!  I don’t know what to do but it’s helpful to know I’m not alone and that some of the odd things I do are common amongst anxiety sufferers. I wouldn’t wish this in my worst enemy. 
  • Posted

I'm 24 and into this from past 6 months it's horrible, can't even sleep because of bad dreams, overthinking too much, worried about self diseases, too much of sweating, nunbness, neck pain, headache, lots of negativity like what if something happens to me so i did MRI of the brain expecting brain cloth or something like paralysis attack as my dad is paralysed from past 3 years but fortunately my reports are better than better, neurologist said there is nothing wrong with you and you are physically fit and fine, because of overthinking of everything i visited mind care clinic and discovered anxiety little stupid disease that ruined my brain and mentality and still im conscious about health..

• Posted

Hey, I fully recommend “Overcoming Health Anxiety”, it really spoke to me and put me in my place when I was going through what felt like an endless spiral of symptoms and sensations. Keep in touch if you like, it’s super handy to know others going through the same stuff. 
  • Posted

Hi friends, these are my exact symptoms as well. Right down to the good night's sleep, not starting for a few hours. 29 yo female. I'm really bad at going down the rabbit hole and can't seem to accept that it is my anxiety. Did these symptoms resolve for all of you? If not, how do you manage them? Wishing you all the best. This isn't easy.

• Posted

This has been my story as well; for months, I was having digestion issues and no test could show anything (the only comfort I found was lying down on our bed). It took reading a health anxiety book and my mom to create the epiphany that I could take back the control and eventually, I evaded those symptoms. Jump forward 3 months and I have been diagnosed with a serious allergy to a certain fruit - tonight, I felt a tickle in my throat and my adrenaline soared, and I’ve been walking around with my epi pen like I could collapse (hence I found this page while trying to google how to tell if my face is swollen lol). So safe to say I’ve relapsed a little, and hoping to get back into the swing of things! Feel free to message if you wanna keep in touch, I figure creating a network is probably helpful smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.