Face pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi,, I have experienced pain on the bone right in front of the ear-- I guess it would be the jaw bone,  has any one else had that and if so do you use heat or ice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had that few times... Was sure that I have a tooth infection or a hole and that's projecting to the bone... Actually what helped me is chewing gum and painkillers (after the dentist ensured via X-rays that the teeth are fine)... Went off after 4-6 days. Once after almost two weeks. Tried to use heat but it didn't help.

• Posted

Hi jo

I'd say both- heat and cold would be a good, typical treatment. If it's joint related (and RA) the heat might feel better but you might try both. Maybe you overworked it or had a night of grinding your teeth unknowingly.

Oddly enough I'm having an unusual pain in my cheek bone below my eye socket. It made me read your post a few times. A month or two ago I started feeling a kind of numbness in the same place but it faded after a couple weeks. Now this is different but slightly unsettling. It might be a zit deep down that will come out soon. Who knows! I'm a walking mystery sometimes.

Hope your jaw pain goes away shortly!

Em

• Posted

Thanks Em, I know it's RA but most of the time when I have had pain I always use cold , actually a pack of frozen peas, great cold pack, anyway being so close to the ear I was not sure what would work so I tried both along with Advil, better now. I am thinking  its a flare because I am doing a new biologic and have only had 2 doses so far, due for the 3rd one on Wednesday.  I also take MTX, you would think that would stop any flares wouldn't you.  Maybe that's not working either, who knows. Sorry to hear about your cheek bone pain, could it maybe be a pinched nerve or sinus, don't know. Maybe an infected tooth.  Sometime when I have sinus the bones below my eyes get kinda sore to the touch.  Good luck, Jo

• Posted

Do you know if you grind your teeth?, I do and I get pain where the jaw hinges, dentist made me splint, but it's pretty painful if this is the problem.

• Posted

Sure have had that pain in the Jaw, and after a dentist visit where they do a 180 panoramic x-ray he could see the wear and tear in the joint.  He will make me a mouth guard for resting the joint at night and if it advances, he will refer me to an oral surgeon.  Don't know what they do to remedy it since I've known no one who has had severe arthritis in the jaw.  Better RA is the key to contaning those kinds of flare ups.

• Posted

Hi Yeh I get pain and problems in my jaw joint particularly the left side. I was diagnosed with TMD about 13 years ago due to my jaw locking closed several times, one time it was locked for 6 weeks!! However no-one has told me if my TMD and ra are related! They must b as the jaw is also a joint and since I have ra in most joints in my body it should stand to reason! I use a disposable heat pad on my jaw, I stick it to a thin piece of material like a handkerchief and sleep on it, this works for me asking with my mouth guard. My poor husband, I must look a fright!! Hope ur pain goes away soon. G.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.