Face shingles moved to body?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I woke up 3 days ago with a fat lip and numb face. I was taken to hospital as 111 thought it was anaphylactic shock. Dr diagnosed shingles of the face and I was given acyclovir.

The face stuff seems to have settled but I now have a hot itchy rash on my chest and pains in my ribs. Can shingles move?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph!

Herpes Zoster-Shingles can certainly continue to spread, especially if you are immunocompromised. Is this on the same side of your body?

Acyclovir is the least efficacious medications of the three. Famcyclovir is the most efficacious of the three.

You need to see your physician again to be evaluated, as usually Herpes Zoster-Shingles stays in one dermatome. However, in people who are immunocompromised, it certainly can occur in more than one dermatome. It certainly has with me.

Make certain you also get proper analgesics to control the pain. It usually gets worse the second week.

Where exactly is the Shingles on your face? Is it near your eye? If it involves your eye at all, you need to be seen by an ophthalmologist.

I am going to send information regarding Herpes Zoster-Shingles in a separate post.

I am sorry you have this disease.

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Steph,

I am so sorry that you are suffering from this disease. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation among health professionals. Many health care professionals are abysmally ignorant regarding the diagnosis, the signs and symptoms of the disease, and the treatment and management of the disease. They are loathe to prescribe opioids for the acute pain.

My first episode of Shingles felt like I was giving birth via my ear canal while being tased!

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear, mouth, and throat every three weeks for the past 24 years. For the past 2 years it has also spread to my entire right scalp. I have had it twice in my right eye.

The third ENT finally diagnosed it correctly.

Because I suffered so much with the disease, I am extremely active on this forum. My goals are to educate, support, and advise the people. I have learned so much from many wonderful individuals on this forum. I am a retired Nurse Practitioner in the States.

There are three stages to Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

THE FIRST STAGE-ACUTE STAGE PREERUPTION

PAIN, often burning or lancinating

Itching

Patchy redness

Swelling, in the dermatomal area of involvement

Swollen Lymph Nodes, either at this stage or subsequently

Constitutional Symptoms

Headache

Photophobia

Aches and Pains

Mild Fever

Chills

Fatigue

Exhaustion

THE SECOND STAGE-ERUPTION

Grouped herpetiform vesicles-blisters developing on the red base (the classic finding)

The vesicles come in crops or waves over a period of

usually 5 days

Skin findings that typically appear unilaterally, stopping abruptly at the midline

Vesicular involution: Vesicles initially are clear but eventually cloud, rupture, crust, and involute (shrink)

After vesicular involution, slow resolution of the remaining

red plaques, typically without visible sequelae

Scarring can occur if the skin has been compromised by

excoriation, secondary infection, or other complications

Almost all adults experience pain, typically severe

A few experience severe pain without a vesicular eruption (Zoster Sine Herpete)

Symptoms tend to resolve over 10-15 days,

but can last much longer

Complete healing of lesions may require up to a month

THE THIRD STAGE PHN

POST HERPETIC NEURALGIA

Persistent or recurring pain lasting 30 or more days

after the acute infection or after all lesions have crusted (9-45% of all cases)

Pain usually is confined to the area of original

dermatomal involvement

The pain can be severe and incapacitating

Pain can persist for weeks, months, or years

Slow resolution of pain is especially common in the

elderly

PHN is observed more frequently after cases ofHerpes Zoster-Shingles Ophthalmicus (HZO)

Herpes Zoster-Shingles Oticus

(Ramsay Hunt Syndrome)

and in instances of upper-body dermatomal involvement

TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT

Antivirals

The cornerstone of treatment

Should be started within three days of onset of

symptoms or rash

Famcyclovir 500 mg 3x daily 7-10 days

Most efficacious

Newest Antiviral

Valacyclovir 1000mg 3x daily 7-10 days

Less efficacious than Famcyclovir

Large pill

Based on Acyclovir

Acyclovir 500mg 5x daily 7-10 days

Most resistance to this Antiviral

Oldest Drug

Cheapest drug- Used in the UK

Difficult schedule of 5x daily

USE THE FOLLOWING: one of each class together

Anticonvulsants

Gabapentin-Neurontin

Dosages must be tapered up and down

Effective as adjunct in acute stage and PHN

Pregabalin-Lyrica

Weight Gainer

Affects moods

Difficult to wean off due to withdrawal symptoms.

Antidepressants

Can be difficult to wean off due to withdrawal symptoms.

Duloxetine-Cymbalta SNRI

Venlafaxine-Effexor SNRI

Amitriptyline-Elavil Tricyclic

ANALGESICS

OPIOIDS

Oxycodone

Codeine

Hydrocodone

IF YOUR PAIN IS NOT WELL CONTROLLED WITHIN THE FIRST TWO WEEKS, GET IT UNDER CONTROL BY DEMANDING OPIOIDS.

***The pain often increases markedly the second week of the disease.

HERPES ZOSTER SHINGLES IS ONE OF THE MOST PAINFUL AFFLICTIONS OF MANKIND SECOND TO CANCER AS IT INVOLVES NERVE PAIN.

IT IS THE PHYSICIAN'S DUTY TO HELP THE PATIENT IN PAIN. OPIOIDS STILL ARE THE BEST OPTION FOR ACUTE PAIN.

Gabapentin-Neurontin or Pregabalin-Lyrica can help decrease the neurogenic pain when used in conjunction with Opioids

Topicals

Lidocaine/Benzocaine

Found in Bactine, Solarcaine, Oragel, Salonpas

Auroguard for Ramsay Hunt Syndrome etc

Numbs the skin's nerve endings

Corticosteroid Sprays Creams OTC

Decreases inflammation, soothes topical swelling,

pain

Cool Compresses/ICE.

(DO NOT USE HEAT-CAUSES MORE PAIN AND INFLAMMATION)

100% COTTON CLOTHING soft & allows the skin to breathe!!!!!

SLEEP AND REST

You will experience fatigue and exhaustion and want to sleep. Obey your body. You cannot power through this. Take off from work. If you don't, it will only get worse.

CONTAGIOUS

Remember: your exposed rash is contagious to all individuals who have not as yet had chickenpox.

This list includes all pregnant women and their unborn fetuses. Many women do not know in the early stages if they are pregnant.

If someone has been fully vaccinated, they are protected. The unborn child is never protected.

Cover your rash with clothing or a dressing.

You are no longer infectious when every last vesicle-blister has scabbed over/ dried up.

PREVENTION of SHINGLES

Get the Shingrix Vaccine, a two part injection, taken 2-6 months apart.

The efficacy is 93%

1. It is available in the US at age 50 with insurance
    2. If you have had Shingles, and are in the US, Shingrix is covered by your insurance. Have your physician write a note stating you have had Shingles.
    3. In the UK, it is not available until age 70.

ADDENDUM the Shingrex vaccine has helped decrease the intensity of pain of my episodes, but not decrease the frequency of episodes.

High Lysine Low Arginine Diet

Google High Lysine Low Arginine Diet and Herpes.

The amino acid Lysine helps decrease Herpes and Arginine triggers Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

If you binge on chocolate or nuts, and find yourself getting a horrible prolonged shingles episode after,

it is due to the high amino acid content of Arginine in chocolate and nuts.

You can take Lysine supplements, but there can always be issues with drug interactions, adverse reactions, and harm to the heart, liver, and kidneys.

It is my hope that this letter has helped you in understanding your disease and how to care for yourself.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Steph,

Please feel free to ask me any questions! That is what we are here for!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Juliana, thank you for so much information

My symptoms started as a fat lip, numbness up to my cheek bone and a fat tongue on the right side. I had a patch of swollen 'spots' under my lip.

I've also had ear and throat pain before that. Could be a cold that triggered it all off.

The new rash is between my breasts. I also have tingling around my ribs.

I'm not really experiencing any pain but as your info, it's probably a bit early for that.

I'm in the UK so will have to check up on the names of those meds. I was given acyclovir as I have Crohns and so my immune system is pretty weak.

At the moment it's pretty hard to get an appointment because of the current problems with the virus and I am in isolation because of the shingles. Dr didn't want me to leave the house because of immunity being at risk on a double level.

This is all very new and it's scary times out there as it is, stress has most certainly been a trigger.

Happy to chat.

Steph

• Posted

Hi Steph!

As you have Crohn's disease, that certainly makes you immunocompromised. How many days did they prescribe Acyclovir? You definitely need at least another 10 -14 days after the rash appeared on your breasts and tingling sensation. Acyclovir is the oldest, and therefore the cheapest antiviral. Unfortunately, the Herpes varicella virus has built up resistance in some cases. In many immunocompromised individuals, they must be on antivirals for a much longer duration. Acyclovir and Valciclovor stopped working for me a long time ago.

Often, when Herpes Zoster-Shingles affects the Trigeminal nerve, you can have a headache, which then centralizes to the ear and a one-sided sore throat. That is what happened to me.

It is extremely scary times for everyone, especially for those who are high risk right now. Please stay safe.

Are you on immuno-modulators or biologics for the Crohns?

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana ❣️

• Posted

Again thanks for the info Juliana.

I'm not on immuno suppressants at the moment but was for a long time.

I only have about 7 days worth of Acyclovir. So I need more?

Have you had the facial shingles too then?

I really dont know if the developing rash on my chest is shingles but seems a coincidence

• Posted

Hi Steph,

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my Right ear, mouth, and throat, (and right eye 2 times) plus it covered my entire right scalp, recurrently every three weeks for the past 24 years. With my ear and eye, the vesicles were also visible on my skin. I learned to start the anti-virals early, to avoid the full attack and suffering.

Now, the vesicles are usually visible by otoscope in my ear canal, my mouth, throat, and definitely on my scalp. I had Shingrix, which definitely helped decreased the intensity of the episodes, ie pain, number of vesicles, duration, but not frequency. I am thankful for Shingrix.

I learned to cope and live my life with it.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Juliana,

It's all been a bit different today. Struggled massively in the morning. Pains all over my body and really tired. Could barely wake up.

So I'm 4 days after first symptoms. Is this normal?

• Posted

Hi Steph!

Absolutely! The virus is a full-blown assault on your body! You are having "constitutional symptoms" or generalized symptoms. I sent you a long information letter regarding Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Please see if you can be

placed on a better antiviral, ie Famciclovir. You need to be on this 1000 mg 3x daily x14 -21 days. Also, look at my list of analgesics. The pain will be like nothing you have ever experienced. Do not wait for the weekend. Ask for Opioids. The pain is excruciating. It is worse in the Head and Trigeminal Nerve area, which is the location you have, and in immunocompromised individuals. The aches and pains and overwhelming exhaustion is normal. Obey your body to lie in bed! Drink fluids! Let someone take care of you ..often difficult to ask... I know.

It is often hard to advocate for yourself when you feel so awful, I know, but please try. (I chuckled when I wrote that as I am the world's worse offender at self advocacy.)

Warm Hugs

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.