Face went numb last night, feeling scared about it :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

So last night I was minding my own business reading the new Kerrang and relaxing when my jaw started to feel a little weird on my right side and then it creeped up go my cheek and it felt all swollen and numb even though it wasn't swollen. Eventually my right cheek and bit of my lip felt numb. Not completely numb but like how it would feel when anaesthetic is wearing off.

Havjng health anxiety i called 111 and was called by a Dr who I went to see out of hours @ 7 this morning. And he was concerned until I said that i had a panic attack cause I was scared so he put it down to anxiety.

I'm so annoyed right now. It could have been nothing but seriously I believe that I may have jad a TIA. and I don't want to risk or ignore that and this Dr just wasn't onterested at all , he just said to see my GP on Monday n get some anti depressants but im really scared about what actually caused the weird numbness in my face rolleyes

Just needed a little rant cos I'm feeling a little upset and scared right now x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think you should just keep an eye on yourself, and don't get the meds unless you feel you need to, try and do it on your own , I know its hard when anxiety is off, but try some distraction techniques, but try and calm down mostly, and rationalize anxiety won't kill you, contrary to what we think ☺ then if you are worried do what you did ring 111, or your gp, but if you are worried have your gp do some tests, 👍
  • Posted

I get that alot. It is anxiety. Have you tried any amino acids? L theanine. Green tea, if you google natural ways to combat anxiety, the possibilities are endless. There are alot of people who think that the natural route is rubbish but ive tryed it and it works. I found a green tea that i liked and now dri nk around 8 cups per day. I stopped drinking coffee because it causes bad anxiety. Cut down on sugar, do more exercise, sleep as much as you need to. This is very important. Never skip breakfast or you will get anxious at the first sign of daily stress. There are relaxation technique vids on youtube about reducing anxiety. Hope this helps. I was on meds at first before i researched a more matural way. They are good but you will feel like crap at the start and when your coming off them.
  • Posted

I get that to and I've been told it's linked to both anxiety and clenching. Sometimes we clench our jaw and teeth when we are scared, most of the time we don't realize it. It becomes a problem because we create tension for our jaw muscles, eventually comes the jaw pain, tingling and numbness. I find myself waking up at night clenching and when I release I'm in pain, stress does this to us. Since we are hypochondriacs anxiety sets in, we down spiral and lose it. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I used to clench my teeth and I got twitching of my face and forehead until I stopped doing it. But I have refrained from doing it now, I have got into the habit of keeping my tongue in between my teeth & I was just talking when my face started to feel numb rolleyes

I don't know my health anxiety has definitely spiralled out of control on this one, I can't shake it. And I'm terrified of it happening again

• Posted

Hi. I am new to these forums and have just registered after having a major panic episode. I had the same  strange sensations too in the right side of my face after what I can only describe as a major meltdown. I was in work at the time and an ambulance was called because the right side of my face had visibly drooped. After spending 45 minutes with the paramedics and my heart, BP and other vital signs were checked I was told that I had been hyperventilating and had a panic attack. Not feeling too well a couple of days later I went back to the Dr. I was referred to the TIA clinic at our General Infirmary as it appears i am "at a funny age" and the  possibility of having had one  was considered.  Had brain scan and MRI and scan on arteries in neck to check. Nothing was found. Six months down the line I am now having major anxiety attacks, clenching my teeth and jaws and experiencing  that same old weird facial numbness I had before. It can be caused by jaw clenching and teeth grinding and be a symptom of something called TMJ. Just wanted to try and put your mind at ease a little as I can appreciate how upset and scared it has made you. I would go back and explain how you didnt feel  reassured by the Dr and hope that your own GP will be more understanding. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.