Facet joint injections in lower spine to combat sciatic pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi is there anyone who can advise me on how this procedure is done? I am having it done next tuesday and from what i can tell from the letter i have recieved, is that i will only be having a local anesthetic. I am worried i will feel the injections ( I have read that some discomfort can be felt) and i would rather have a general anesthetic. Has anybody had injections in their spine under general anesthetic? Many thanks in advance for your help smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had them done last month and it's really not that bad. I had a sedative which I would recommend as it chills you out and makes the whole thing a lot quicker. I lie on your front and they inject into the lowest part of your spine going up wards, it is a little uncomfortable but not painful. There was only one needle used the doc just change the syringe. I was made to lie on by back for a couple of hours after and then allowed home. Hope this helps and good luck x
    • Posted

Can I ask how effective the injections were. Did they take away all your pain and for how long?
    • Posted

I didn't do to well with them but everyone is different, I got complete pain relief for 10 days but my sister in law has them and has not had any of her pain return
  • Posted

Honestly you wont need a general anaesthetic because its such a quick procedure. I had them done a couple of times and it took longer getting on the couch and into correct position than the injection.

You have cold sensation on back from cleaning solution then they will inject a local anaesthetic.

Hiw much discomfort from the actual facet treatment will be very short lived and some centres will give you sedation rather than GA as the risks are not worth GA.

Just keeping positive that any facet joint injection is successful for you

:-)

• Posted

Thank you all for you help smile x

• Posted

Hi I had this done about 6 months ago but was heavily sedated which put me to sleep,same as general anisthetic. I had It done In a private hospital though (under nhs) and know it differs from hospital to hospital, it didn't work for me and have just had a 2 level spinal fusion and third level stabilised with a flexi rod and screws so now have 3 rods and several screws. Just 7 weeks post surgery but feel it was a success but time will tell, I would request to be heavily sedated saying you are very anxious. Hope this helps 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. Yes i think i will def request to be heavily sedated as i must admit i am very anxious about the procedure sad I am an nhs patient having the procedure privately like yourself. Im sorry the injections didnt work for you, fingers crossed the recent surgery you have had continues to work for you
  • Posted

I had this done some time back and it was quick and easy? I had about 6 months with no pain then when the pain came back I had a procedure called Rhyzolosis, again done with local anaesthetic. I just took some paracetamol and ibruprofen before the procedure and got straight up and went home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.