facial discoloration

Posted , 3 users are following.

my 15-year-old daughter has been diagnosed with PR, she is on week 6. most of her body is on the mend and drying up and really isn't a concern anymore.  her face, however, is a concern....it started as a red rash and has since turned a white discoloration in spots and patches on her tanned skin.  she is confident enough to know this does not define her, but it is still hard to get thru the day wondering when it will clear up and fade.  is there anything that can be done to help this along?  i don't even want to think if this is permanent for her.  

thank you for any advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Been there! Glad she is self confident. It will fade, usually takes 2 to 6 weeks. Pure coconut oil is wonderful and will not clog her pores. You can buy the cooking kind- purer and cheaper.

In the meantime, look up Dermablend cosmetics. Their foundation is ultra high pigment- used to hide varicose veins and for people with vitiligo. It will even out the tone for when she is out in public while she heals.Wish her all the best!

• Posted

thank you for your reply.  i had an insensitive person tell me that she will not fade and stay like that permanently.  which i did not think was the case.  just looking at this point for some insight.  thank you, i will check out the coconut oil.  shes been using a facial moisturizer with spf as well.  
  • Posted

Hi jap, sorry I couldn't get back to you before.  Sorry to hear your 15-year-old daughter has PR - and yes it does go away...depending on each person's immune system I think. Judging by the many 'blogs' I've read about this peculiar disease, (I don't know what else to call it) One poor person had it for 14 months (with mouth ulcers)and I am in my 14-15 week.  Also with mouth ulcers.  The rash/spots do not bother me much and I did not get them on my face - yet!  Others having quite a few different secondary infections with it.  But in all cases, PR does clear up in time.  Hope this helps?  Best wishes.

• Posted

thank you for your post.....i think things are going in the right direction and fading. still, this is such a mystery rash to begin with. she just wants it to go away.....it's a tough age in high school.  good luck to you as well.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.