Facial Dry red patches

Posted , 5 users are following.

within the last month, I've started noticing dry lines under both eyes, at the corner of my mouth, a spot on my chin & above my lip and today, I noticed one on my eyebrow. They're just small patches, flaky,,, but the ones under my eyes have a red burning like look to them & when I apply lotion, they burn. (?) this is just ridiculous, don't know what's caused them to come all at once!! I've also noticed patches on my neck n chest that come n go. No change in diet, enviromental surroundings, meds or vitamins, no new makeup...I'm telling you NOTHING'S CHANGED. except I'm getting older lol! I'm in menopause,could this b side effect? I've been IN menopause for quite some time so don't think there's any relation there. Really don't want to bother with a dermatologist $$ Would like to put it out there for feedback first. The red burn like lines under both eyes is the scariest as it looks plain awful. Why? Why? Anybody know of a good moisturizer? Or could this b something else? No sun exposure either, so???? Please help--any home remedys? Someone suggested yogurt? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, it is interesting that someone suggested yoghurt because [I wasn't going to suggest it!] I wondered whether it might be candidiasis.  I have been suffering from it for months because of the drugs I am taking.  I have it in my mouth but also on my face, in the corners of my mought and sometimes in the corners of my eyes.  You mention paying in dollars, are you in the US?  I am in the UK, I went to my GP who gave me oral Fluconazole and topical Clotrimazole. 

I would suggest trying Clotrimazole cream, possibly with Hydrocortisone.  A brand name is Canesten HC.

Moisturiser,  I use basic Nivea and also Clarins products.  I am allergic to a lot of chemicals that are found in face creams etc..  I also see a Dermatologist regularly because of an auto immune condition.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

The dry patches may be due to the change in seasons or you possibly have a touch of eczema. I recently had very dry skin due to medication and any skin cream would agitate it or nip like vinegar in an open wound. I purchased a thick moisturiser called Cetaphil from Boots (I'm also in UK) and found it to be very gentle but extremely moisturising. It is thick so you probably can't wear it under makeup. My skin still feels dry so I use it maybe twice a week as my night cream. Also I find the Clarins oil (not sure if it's name but it's yellow in colour) to be very moisturising for at night and it doesn't anger my dry patches.

If you are in UK I would suggest popping to your GP to confirm what's going on with your skin but Cetaphil is good in the mean time.

• Posted

Leading up to and during the menopause the amount of Estrogen in a womans body begins to decrease.

Estrogen stimulates the formation of the skin-smoothing agent collagen and also certain oil needed by the skin for good health.

This is why when the Menopause is on the horizon dry, itchy skin becomes very common and can appear anywhere on the body.

In order to combat this it is recommended an intake of foods rich in Omega 3 such as oily fish, however if the eating of fish is a problem then a daily intake of Omega 3 capsules are a good substitute to increase to stimulate the oil barrier in the skin.

If nothing is done there is the added risk of dry, itchy skin skin making a permanent appearance, as too is the chance that acne will make an attack the skin.

It is also recommended that a broad spectrum sunblock suncream be used when you are out and about for any length of time.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I wonder if it's eceama (spelling)! Karen. Hormonal changes can trigger this and because the skin on the face is more sensitive than other areas of the body, it will affect your face first. I would first try a good moisteriser - like E45 - nothing with too many perfumes etc. avoid tomoatoes, and citrus, anything from the Deadly Nightshade food groups, lots of water and detox your liver with Nettle and chamomile tea should help too. Try not to stress - as this will only make it worse if anything. Calm the inflamation with a diet consisting on cumcumber, celery and aloe vera used topically is very good too! good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.