Facial pain and Congested Nose

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been suffering from GERD for about 3 months. After I was put on PPIs, 20 mg Rabeprazole, 25 mg Levosulphride and Sucralfate syrup. I've been able to control my reflux using these medications and after a while even the back pain, side of chest pain we're all gone. One thing which kept irritating me is the stuffy/congested nose, itching in face, pain at the back of the head. Went to an ENT who diagnosed it as allergic rhinitis as prescribed me some sprays which made me feel better for a while but now those symtoms are back. I don't know if this related to GERD, some kind of defiiency or allergies. Could anyone suffering from similar symtoms, please share your experiences.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Been thru it all for almost a year. Back and forth to doctor became a mouth breather. They said sinus issue as well. Also had an earache same side and woke up feeling like I had bronchitis and short of breath 24/7. Pressure in upper abdomen, pain in chest, sore throat, teeth hurt, back pain. Went to doctor ruled out heart, blood work was perfect. Sent for Barium swallow showed mild inflammation of distal end of esophagus. Went for endoscopy where they found sliding hiatal hernia! On Omprezole, strict diet, vitamins, no caffeine, no soda, no spices, very bland. Eat small meals 5x a day. Never let yourself get hunger pangs. Drink lots of water. And most of all stay off Doctor Goggle only bad things and causes stress. Avoid stress and anxiety. After all this 21/2 month's I can breathe pain gone, feeling back to old self. It takes time, no slowly getting off meds and cheat on diet and still feel great. Gastro doctor said he has heard from many patients abt. The sinus issue when have reflux. It's gone. Good luck. It does get better

• Posted

Thank for your reply. Are you taking 20 mg Omeprazole or 40 mg? Please tell me the list of the supplements you're taking

• Posted

40mg. Omprezole 1x a day! I also take B12 1000mg, Calcium 1000, vit. D3. I take 1000mg vit. C and a multi. Vit. Reason for calcium and B12 is because PPI depleat these vitamins. The D3 is because it helps the calcium break down so you don't lose it all. I take the omprezole first thing in the morning. The vitamins After lunch. Also honey 1tsp. 3x a day taken anytime. It works and I am now slowly getting off the PPI

• Posted

I have GERD and terrible chronic sinus. Last month I had surgery to drain the mucus and although painful for couple of weeks I do now feel much better the pressure has gone and I'm only slightly blocked on the left side now.

i use Neilmed sinus rinse twice a day it's  like giving your nose a shower, really good for cleaning it and getting the horrid stuff out, so I highly recommend it, much better than any sprays I tried and it's all natural.

• Posted

I am getting pressure pain all over my head. Did you get that. Surgery to drain mucous? What were your symtoms? Did you have a sinus infection? I have immense pressure pain in nose and that radiates all over my head and making me really sick.
    • Posted

Pressure and pain headaches especially around the eyes and cheeks are a sign of sinus infection. I'd see your GP and get antibiotics asap for the infection and an antibiotic spray called Dymista is good alongside them.

if after the meds it doesn't get better ask to see an ENT consultant.

i had chronic sinus infection it's frequent sinus infections and constantly having a blocked nose. I was blocked for years then got infections every few months.

since the surgery my head feels clear now it's so much better. It's called a FESS for short and it's called Functional endoscopic sinus surgery. I had a CT scan done on my sinuses and a small camera inserted through my nose, its painless.

gerd can make you create more mucus so it's not uncommon to have sinus problems with it I'm afraid.

• Posted

I went to an ENT few weeks back. She ruled out a Sinus infection. She said I had allergies. Currently I have pain at the top and back of my head. But not near cheeks and forehead.
    • Posted

No. Let's see what the ENT says if my symtoms don't improve. By the way, are you still on PPI?

• Posted

Yes Esomeprazole and Gaviscon.

They can't say it's  allergies I feel you haven't had a test for it though.

saline nasal rinses are good.

• Posted

Hi Sharon. Were you getting these sinus infections only after a cold?
  • Posted

I was having that a lot started saline washouts twice a day has helped a lot, ENT said mine was allergic also, hope this is some help to you.
    • Posted

I've had four sinus surgery's  last one helped the most.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.