Facial Pain - Please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have had really severe pain in the right hand side of my face since the 22nd of November last year, it comes and goes but when it's here oh my goddddd it's all I can think about. The pain is like sharp shooting pains that are in the right hand side of my head, sometimes above or behind my ear, sometimes in my ear, many times in my temple and my cheekbone and mostly in my jaw line, this is accompanied by a constant ache that sometimes effects the right hand side of my throat as well, also accompanied with the right hand side of my face slightly swelling. It is literally driving me crazy, it hurts to talk and eat. (My two favourite things!) I previously went to the doctor back in December after the pain wasn't going away and the doctor was extremely rude and forceful, gripping my face painfully, so much so that I considered accusing her of assault, she did not want to listen to me at all, she diagnosed me with a sinus infection and send me away with meds that were absolutely awful and did nothing but make me throw up. I couldn't take my normal painkillers with these meds (ibuprofen seeing as paracetomol doesn't like to work efficiently for me) and decided to ditch the doctor's meds in favour of my painkillers. The pain stopped after about a week and a half and comes and goes when ever I am stressed, on this occasion I have had enough of having to buy a packet of painkillers every two days to be able to function and the pain is pretty severe, even waking me up when I'm sleeping - quite an achievement - I've slept through many broken bones and ailments, this is just something else though. I've read up on trigeminal neuralgia and it describes it perfectly, but I'm a little scared of going back to my doctor and I've convinced myself she will send me away with sinusitus again, I feel I need a bit of reassurance that I'm not crazy or dramatic like my doctor made me feel. How can I get her to take me seriously? Or am I really being over dramatic and this sounds like many cases of sinusitus?? I thank you for any body's feedback. Xx

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there.

This post immediately jumped out at me as it almost describes identically the pain I had.

I did have sinus problems too. And I had the surgery. But I also has serious nerve damage and that pain was the worst off all.

After 15 years of suffering I was finally put on amatryptaline (can't spell it )

I started on 10mg and now take 30mg's a day. It's been a life changer for me. I'm pain free for the first time in what feels like forever.

Google amatryptaline for nerve pain/damage.

Please go back and see ur doctor. Go to another doctor if u can.

It's a horrendous pain that was ruining my life. But after about 2 weeks of taking these tablets, it was like someone flicking a switch and turning the pain off.

Good luck x

• Posted

I can not tell if it sinsusitis only a doctors can tell that after a CAT scan it revealed that I suffered from sinsusitis and have many of the behind the eye issues u mention, plus burning in my nose, fluid, congestion the list goes on. But it is a horrible feeling and u r not going crazy. I would say go see ENT, which does not mean u will be cured, but at least u will get a proper diagnosis.I have suffered for years. People who have not experienced this ailment has no idea. Unfortunately must doctors have not experienced it either so they have no way of treating u properly. They treat everyone the same. This particular illness reacts different and is treated differently in every person. I do not have answers but just letting u know that u r not alone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.